❦ TWENTY-TWO | BUT WE CAN'T STAY

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

What makes a place feel like home? Is it warmth and familiarity? Some idealised, make-believe version of the American dream? Is it love and acceptance? Or is it simple safety? Or it's none of those things. And it's a place where the captain of the football team is murdered. Or maybe it's just a forgotten closet under a well-trod staircase where it's just you and the mice and the spiders like an extra in a Wes Craven movie.

Dreams are a way for people to escape reality. They're a make believe world where everything almost always goes your way. Whether it be falling in love, or completing an adventure that makes you extremely happy. But where there's good dreams, there's also bad dreams.

Amethyst knew she was having a dream from the moment she closed her eyes. Everything was too perfect, and reality is far from that.

It began at Pop's diner, where Amethyst was sitting in front of Jughead in a booth. Then, suddenly, Jughead grabbed a hold of Amethyst's hands and brought it to his lips, where he placed a tender kiss upon them. That's when she noticed the diamond ring resting on her ring finger.

Amethyst frowned as she brought her hand back over to herself to inspect the ring.

"Are you alright, Buttercup?" Jughead had asked, worry lacing his tone.

Amethyst head looked up and she met his gaze, softly nodding at him.

"This is just so weird," she told him.

Jughead chuckled. "Yeah, I never would have thought that we'd be engaged as well. I always thought that I wasn't good enough for you."

"No, no, it's not that," Amethyst quickly said. "Everything just seems too perfect."

"Your mother told me the same thing when I went to ask for her blessing," Jughead smiled.

Amethyst froze. "M-my mother?" She asked, wondering if she heard him correctly.

Jughead frowned. "Yes, your mother. Amie, what's wrong?"

Amethyst didn't get to reply as she noticed a familiar face walk through the entrance of the diner.

"Mommy?" Amethyst asked, watching as her mother smiled at her.

"Amethyst, Forsythe, fancy seeing you here," Dariela smiled as she walked up to their booth.

"Not really, Dariela, as we are almost always here," Jughead chuckled.