❦ TWENTY-SEVEN | I CAN NEVER

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Amethyst had waited on the bench just outside of the room as Sheriff Keller talked to Demarcus Moore. Her fingers drummed against the metal bench in nerves, although she had no reason to be nervous.

The door beside her suddenly opened up and Demarcus and Sheriff Keller walked out. Amethyst stood straight to her feet to see what the verdict was.

Sheriff Keller looked directly at Amethyst. "Your Brother supplied proof that the two of you were at the Riverdale graveyard on the 11th of July, and then a cafe afterwards, followed by the bookstore after that."

Amethyst nodded, waiting to see if Sheriff Keller was going to say anything else. "With this sufficient evidence, you are free to go."

Amethyst said thank you, but that didn't help the sick feeling she had. Because Jughead still hadn't been cleared.

After Jughead's interrogation, Amethyst was allowed to sit and talk to the distressed Jones while Sheriff Keller talked to Fred Andrews about Jughead.

"I didn't do it, Buttercup. You have to believe me," Jughead said, finally looking up and catching his best friends gaze.

"Of course," Amethyst said, grabbing onto his hands. "I know you wouldn't have killed him because I know who you are, Juggy."

"Well, those Paradise Lost kids went to death row because they wore black and listened to Metallica," Jughead said. "I don't wanna be a scapegoat."

"You won't. I won't let that happen," Amethyst said. "All of the evidence against you in circumstantial. There are other kids who have had that happen to them as well. You'll be fine. We'll get you out of here."

Jughead's stance softened as Amethyst ran her thumb against the back of his hand, calming him down immensely.

Jughead sniffed up his tears and then met Amethyst's gaze again. "Is my dad here yet?" He asked.

Amethyst licked her lips. "Ah, Archie and his dad are here, as well as Demarcus and Betty. They're talking to the Sheriff." Jughead looked down. "But I'm sure your dad is on his way. He wouldn't want anything to happen to you."

Sheriff Keller suddenly opened the door and looked at the two teenagers. "Mr Andrews said you were working for him that week. Is that right?" Both Jughead and Amethyst nodded, even though they both knew it was a lie. "Then you're free to go."

Amethyst smiled as she stood to her feet. "Thank you," she said quickly, before grabbing Jughead's hand and pulling him out.

They met up at Archie, Betty, Demarcus and Fred in the hallway and smiled at them. "We're good to go," Jughead said, before turning around and making his way out of the building with Amethyst.