❦ THIRTY-EIGHT | I MISSED

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

Dinner had passed and Amethyst felt as if the event was going surprisingly well. She was seated besides Archie and Demarcus, meaning that she wasn't pestered with annoying comments from the other adults asking her about her goals and dreams.

Although Polly was sitting on the other side of
Demarcus, and he couldn't stop himself from smooth talking her, but the female was very persistent in declining everything he was saying.

Amethyst was talking to Demarcus about school when it hit her with the familiar suit he was wearing.

"Oh my god, that's your funeral suit, isn't it?" Amethyst hushed to him, careful not to draw attention to them.

Demarcus glanced around the room before leaning down towards his sister. "I was hoping you wouldn't notice," he said.

Amethyst lightly smacked his chest. "How could I not have noticed? You wore it to our mother's funeral!"

"Shh, Misty," Demarcus hushed. "These rich people are listening in, and god forbid they find out."

Amethyst narrowed her eyes. "Like you care what these people think of you."

Demarcus smirked as he shrugged. "True."

The sound of glass clinking brought everyone's attention to Clifford Blossom who had just tapped his fork against his glass and stood up.

Demarcus shook his head as he leant down towards Amethyst. "Posh pricks," he whispered.

Amethyst smiled lightly before elbowing him.

"We were tested this year as a town and as a company. But mainly, as a family," Clifford said. "And it may not have been Jason's hand that staked the Maple this year but it was the hand of hope." Clifford raised his glass to Cheryl and everyone clapped as he sat back down.

Amethyst and Demarcus were the only ones to not applaud, because they didn't know what Clifford was talking about.

As everyone began to resume their talking between one another, Cheryl leant in towards Archie. "Don't think they're being nice or genuine," she said. "They wanted me to fail at the tree-tapping. But you're going to help with all that."

"We'll do whatever we can, Cher," Amethyst told him. Cheryl sent her a genuine smile, one that got Amethyst shocked.

"Archibald, can I have a word?" Clifford told Archie, and Archie stood up and walked to the corner of the room with him.

Amethyst, Demarcus and Polly kept a close eye on the two, trying to listen in as best as they could. When Archie began to rub his hands together, a sign to Amethyst that he was getting uncomfortable, she stood up from her chair and walked over to them.