❦ THIRTY-NINE | AND CALIFORNIA

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

The now eleven-year-old Amethyst and sixteen-year-old Demarcus held onto their mothers hands as everyone walked into the hospital room. Only a few select friends stood around Dariela's hospital bed, all sharing different variations of sadden looks.

Everyone knew that this was Dariela's last moments.

About a year ago, Dariela was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Despite intensive chemotherapy she underwent, they discovered a new lump that doctors told her would spread to her liver. Just the night before, Dariela was told by the doctors that she only had twenty-four hours to live.

Amethyst and Demarcus had stayed by their mother's side the whole time, not wanting to waste precious moments with her. For the past year, to let his mother rest up, Demarcus had gotten a job at the local supermarket and a sports store to pay off the caravan bills. Dariela had told him that she was fine, but he knew better.

Dariela looked over towards her son, a warm smile on her face. She noticed that Demarcus was holding back tears, not wanting to be seen crying in front of the all the family friends.

She stroked his cheek. "My beautiful boy," she spoke quietly, feeling her body become more tired. Dariela knew she only had minutes left. "I am so proud of you, my darling boy, with all you have achieved already. I may not be around for much longer, but I will always be with you. I'll be there when you graduate high school, when you get married, when you have your very own children. I will always be there." Dariela kissed her son's hand. "I love you so much, my special boy."

"I love you too, mom," Demarcus kissed his mothers forehead.

Dariela turned to Amethyst who was crying. "No, don't cry, baby girl. Don't waste your tears on me." Dariela gently used her thumb to wipe the tears away. "Some day, my beautiful Amethyst, things will make perfect sense. But for now, promise me to smile through the tears, laugh at the confusion, and keep reminding yourself that everything happens for a reason."

Amethyst quickly nodded, holding onto every word her mother was saying. "I will. I promise, I will," she said.

"My daughter, I will be watching over you as you start your freshmen year in a few years. I will be there to wade off all those boys that will fall for you," Dariela smiled and Amethyst chuckled. "And please keep your friendship with Jughead. It's a once in a lifetime sort of friendship, and I would hate for you to lose it."

Amethyst looked over at Jughead who was standing next to his sister, father and mother, and smiled.

Dariela went into a coughing fit and Amethyst looked back at her mother. "I have to go now, my children."

Amethyst grabbed onto her mothers hand. "No, mommy. Please don't go. I need you with me," she cried.

"Sweety, sweety," she used her other hand to grab onto both of her hands. "I have to. You know that."

Amethyst shook her head. "No....don't leave me."

"I will never leave you, honey. I will always be here," she pointed at Amethyst's heart, then turned to Demarcus. "Please look after your sister. Her and Jughead are two trouble makers that just don't know when to stop." Demarcus smiled lightly and nodded.

"I will always look after Misty, mom," Demarcus kissed his mothers forehead.

"Oh, I have something for you two, under the bed." Gladys Jones, Jughead's mother stepped forward and reached down under the hospital bed and pulled out two wrapped up presents. She handed them to the children. "Open them whenever you feel down, or whenever you need to smile."

Amethyst nodded as she looked down at the rectangular parcel. Suddenly, the machine besides her began to beep. Her mother's hand went limp, causing her attention to go back to her mother who had gone still.

Amethyst's eyes widened and she tried to shake her mothers hand. "Mom. Mommy. Mom, wake up. Please wake up, mommy!" She cried as she tried to shake her awake.

Demarcus let go of his mothers hand and put his head in his hands, sobbing.

"Mommy," Amethyst sobbed. "I need you. Come back." Gladys rubbed Amie's back as she mourned her best friends death as well.

Amethyst suddenly stood up out of her chair and bolted out of the room.

"Buttercup!" Jughead called out and ran after his best friend.

Amethyst ran down the corridor when she was met with a dead end. Having nowhere to go and running out of options, she pressed her back against the wall and slid down it, putting her bead back into her hands and crying.

Jughead ran around the corner and found his best friend weeping. He approached her and sat down beside her. He was quiet as she sobbed and Jughead put his arm around her.

"I'm sorry, Buttercup," he said quietly.

Amethyst looked up at him through wet eyes. "It's not your fault she's dead," she said

"But I could have been there more for you," he said, taking her hand. "I could've been a better friend for you throughout this year."

"No, Juggy. You were perfectly fine," she whispered.

Jughead grabbed onto both of Amethyst's hands. "No matter what, from this day forward, I will be with you no matter what. And I am here for you." Amethyst nodded and then Jughead pulled her into a hug.

•