❦ FIVE | THE FEELINGS

CHAPTER FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE

I think many of us, maybe the entire town had been hoping against hope that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July 4th. That we'd come to school Monday morning and there Jason would be, or that we'd see him and Cheryl in a booth at Pop's. But that was before the undeniable irrevocable fact of his bloated, waterlogged body. A corpse with a bullet hope in its forehead and terrible secrets that could only be revealed by the cold steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel or the telltale beating of a guilty heart.

Jughead and Amethyst walked into school the Monday after Jason's body was found in Sweetwater River with a bullet hole in his head. Everyone in Riverdale knew, and everyone was shocked. It just proved that Amethyst's theory was incorrect; Jason did not actually run away — he was murdered. 

The two walked towards their locker when they stopped behind Archie who was staring at the flowers and cards surrounding Jason's locker.

"Hi," Jughead said.

Archie turned around quickly to see it was them.

"Do you think Jason Blossom's death would be a good enough excuse to get out of PE?" Amethyst asked.

""Sorry, coach. I'm just too depressed and freaked out right now to do pull-ups"," Jughead said.

Archie closed his locker. "Don't joke about Jason Blossom," he said.

"What? Sardonic humour is just my way of relating to the world," Jughead said.

Amethyst looked past Archie and groaned. "Well, look who it is," she said.

"It's the rich kids from The Goonies," Jughead said.

"It was fun seeing you," Amethyst said and then the two of them walked towards the direction the footballers were in.

Reggie spotted the two walking up to them and shoved Amethyst against the locker while one of his goons pushed Jughead away.

"Well, if it isn't Wednesday Adams," Reggie grinned.

"I thought Jughead was Wednesday and I was Jade West," Amethyst said.

Reggie frowned. "What?"

"Are you deaf or something, Reggie? I said I was Jade West and Jughead was Wednesday," Amethyst said.

"What did you say to me?" Reggie asked.

"Dude, why do you keep asking me what I said to you when you clearly heard me?" Amethyst asked him.