❦ SEVENTY-FIVE | THIS TIME

CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE

In Riverdale, everyone wears a mask, not just the Black Hood. But every so often the mask slips and our true selves are laid bare for all the world to see. So, we scramble to put it back on, like a kid in a cheap Halloween costume, but it's too late. People have already seen what's underneath and it's terrifying.

"Penelope, thank you for coming," Hermione's voice sounded through the door. Amethyst nervously glanced at Cheryl, who looked back at her in return. "We called as soon as Cheryl told us."

"I appreciate that," Penelope said, but it wasn't sincere. "I just wish you'd stopped her from talking to Sheriff Keller. Lord knows what Cheryl did or said to the St. Clair boy to provoke him."

Amethyst sadly looked at Cheryl as her eyes downcasted.

"According to Veronica, nothing," Hermione said.

"Hermione, Hiram, I want this handled discreetly," Penelope said.

"Well, I'm confident that the St. Clair's feel the same way," Hiram said.

"Then it's settled. I'll talk to that idiot Keller and tell him we won't be pressing charges," Penelope announced. "After all, nothing really happened to Cheryl."

Amethyst stared at Cheryl with her mouth agape before she walked over towards her bag.

"Cheryl, I'm....so sorry," Veronica said.

"Don't be silly. I'm used to it," Cheryl said awfully brightly. "And besides, you heard what Mommy said. Nothing really happened to me."

"Cheryl, he roofied you and he tried to rape you. That's not nothing," Amethyst told her.

"I'm fine," Cheryl told her. "Stop worrying about me, Amethyst, when you have other problems you need to solve." Her eyes glanced down to the tattoo that was slightly on show on her side.

Amethyst crossed her arms so that she could cover it as Veronica turned to her and frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Amethyst mumbled. "And, Cheryl, if everything is fine, then why did we call Sheriff Keller and make a statement, like, five minutes ago?"

"Momentary lapse in sanity," Cheryl said quickly. "I mean, can you even imagine? Me facing off against Nick St. Clair in a courtroom battle royale? I'd be a laughingstock."

"That's not the point. You still have to seek justice," Amethyst said.

"Amethyst, did you press charges against James after he did that to you?" Cheryl said.