❦ SIXTY | FOR ME DARLING

CHAPTER SIXTY

CHAPTER SIXTY

Sheriff Keller walked into the waiting room minutes after Archie returned. The group all stood up out of their chairs and walked up to the Sheriff.

"How's your dad doing?" Sheriff Keller asked Archie.

"He's still in surgery," Betty told him.

"Archie, I know this is a hell of a time for you, but perhaps we could go somewhere and talk about what happened," he suggested.

"Is it cool if I tag along?" Jughead asked.

"Actually, if you don't mind-"

"Yeah, that would be great," Archie insisted.

Sheriff Keller turned around and walked off, closely followed by Archie. Jughead turned to Amethyst and raised his eyebrows, causing the girl to grimace before he walked off. Amethyst smiled lightly to herself before her, Betty and Veronica sat back down on the chairs.

Veronica narrowed her eyes at Amethyst, who was still smiling to herself. "What's up with you?" She asked. "Why have you and Jughead been smiling at each other like it's the morning after your first time?"

Amethyst widened her eyes at what Veronica was hinting at. "No. It's not that," she said quickly.

"Then what is it?" Veronica asked.

Amethyst pursed her lips as she looked between the two girls. "We may have told each other about our feelings last night."

The girls broke out into a grin. "Really?" Veronica asked, and when Amethyst nodded, said, "Finally!"

"That's what Demarcus said," Amethyst mumbled.

"Kevin is going to be so thrilled," Veronica said.

Betty smiled at Amethyst. "I've been having to sit with you two making googlie eyes at each other for years," she said. "Finally you said something about it."

"Did you kiss?" Veronica asked.

"No, we didn't," she replied.

Veronica screwed up her face. "Damn," she mumbled. "But now you know what you're in for."

Amethyst shrugged. "It'll come. Who knows when."

Veronica sighed happily before leaning back in her chair. "There are just some things no one does better than Veronica Lodge," she said. "Makeovers, party planning, dance-offs, fangirling, dropping vintage bon mots as if they were bonbons. Conversely, there are things that I'm not good at. Grief, bedside vigils, comforting boyfriends."