❦ TWELVE | ALL WE DO

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE

It's been a week since the discovery of Jason Blossom's body. But his death is not the first nor would it be the last casualty that the town of Riverdale would suffer. The Twilight Drive-In, where I work, my home away from home, a piece of town history, is closing for good just when we needed a place to escape the most. With Sheriff Keller knocking on every door and neighbour suspecting neighbour, Riverdale, every day that passes, is becoming more like Salem during the witch trials.

"The drive-in closing, it's just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale," Jughead said. Amethyst sat beside him with her arms crossed, completely disregarding her chocolate shake which was a first.

"Riverdale's a shit show. It's the American Dream we're talking about," Amethyst said.

"Exactly, and as the godfather of indie cinema, Quentin Tarantino, likes to say--"

"Please, god, no more Quentin Tarantino references," Kevin begged.

"What?" Jughead said. "I'm pissed. And not just about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-In should mean something to us. People should be trying to save it!"

"In this age of Netflix and VOD, do people really want to watch a movie in a car?" Veronica asked. "I mean, who even goes there?"

"People who want to buy crack," Kevin said.

"And cinephiles and car enthusiasts," Jughead said.

"And couples who want a place to make out in the back of the car in peace," Amethyst said.

"Right, Bets?" Jughead asked Betty who was sitting beside Amethyst and being oddly quiet.

She looked up at the group and nodded. "Totally."

"Anyway, its closing because the town owns it but didn't invest in it," Jughead said. "So when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy an offer she couldn't refuse--"

"Anonymous buyer?" Veronica rhetorically asked. "What do they have to hide? No one cares."

"I do," Jughead and Amethyst said, then corrected it to, "We do."

"You guys should totally come to closing night though," Amethyst said.

"I'm thinking American Graffiti, or is that too obvious?" Jughead asked.

"I vote for anything starring Audrey Hepburn. Or Cate Blanchett," Veronica said.

"Anything with Channing Tatum please," Betty said.