❦ EIGHTY-ONE | THEY'RE HOLDING MINE

CHAPTER EIGHTY-ONE

CHAPTER EIGHTY-ONE

Like the Red Death showing up in an Edgar Allan Poe story, the Black Hood had come to Riverdale. With the grimmest of reapers looming over us, how did we cope? In the case of Archie and Veronica, it was through carnal defiance. With every kiss and embrace, they seemed to be saying: "You have no power over me, Death." In fact, Varchie became the opposite of death. In Archie's bedroom. In his garage. Even in The Pembrooke. After all, if our young lovers dared to defy the Black Hood, why not risk Hiram Lodge's wrath as well? The Black Hood seemed to be having the opposite effect with Amethyst and myself, as we would just sit in the comfort of either the trailer or the cabin and watch movies until night turned into day. Because whatever happened in the outside world, we both knew that we had each other and that was all we needed.

Amethyst and Jughead sat in a booth at Pop's an hour and a half before school would start. Usually, Jughead would be the one to pull Amethyst out, but, surprisingly, she was up before Jughead and pulled him out of bed and dragged him to Pop's before it was even seven in the morning.

Amethyst took a large bite out of her tomato and cheese toasty and Jughead explained to her what he found out about what the story the creepy man told him when he gave him a ride to the gas station.

"Shockingly, Freddy Krueger didn't lie to me," Jughead told her, before pulling out an old newspaper article. "A family of four was murdered by someone the press called the Riverdale Reaper. The victims were Jim and Mary Ellen Conway and their kids. Tommy was 10 and Sue was 9."

Amethyst's face instantly dropped, and she removed the toasty from her mouth to place it back down onto the plate.

"The Reaper was never caught or identified, so he could be our Black Hood," he finished.

"But wouldn't he be around sixty now? And isn't the Black Hood some middle-aged man?" Amethyst questioned.

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Jughead said. "The reporter of the article talked to a sheriff at the time, who thought the killer chose at random or because their house was isolated."

"Where was it at?" Amethyst asked.

"Edge of Fox Forest down a service road," he replied before sliding the newspaper article over to her. Amethyst looked down at the house with a frown before taking out her phone.

"I'm just gonna send a pic of this to Betty. She'll want to know," Amethyst told him.

"So," Jughead began after a brief silence as Amethyst messaged Betty. "Why were you at Louis' house in the first place?"