Chapter 16

It was the day of the tests in our college as well as my mammoth submission of cover story manuscript. I woke up in the morning getting no sleep whatsoever at night. I wrote and re-wrote my manuscript before settling with a final edited copy that I saved in my computer. As far as the tests were concerned, my preparation was good but I was worried with the poetry section a bit.

It was 10.45 Am when I found myself standing before the mirror combing my hair. The nice and cold shower on my body and head made me weak and all I wanted to do was sleep. My stomach was full from the extra cereals that I consumed a few minutes before. I slipped into my black jeans and a white sleeveless top as my eyes bored a tired look. I wore my watch, grabbed my bag that I arranged with all the required stuffs before and mobile as I walked out of my room towards my door. I wore my shoes, took the keys and exited my apartment. I locked it and pressed the elevator button to go down and then out on the street eventually.

On reaching college, I looked around for Niall. I thought he may be waiting for me like the other day but I couldn't see any sign of him. With this thought as I turned around to enter college, I felt a warm and soft hand crawling across my shoulders. I looked back to see Niall standing beside me. He wore a pair of black denims and a white tee with the sleeves rolled up as usual.

“Looking for someone?” He winked.

“Yes, my boyfriend.” I smiled.

“Oh, he is late. I'm free by the way.”

“He will kick your ass Sir so you better get your hands off of me.”

“I don’t think I can.” He smiled widely.

I smiled back as Niall said,” Hey, matching clothes.”

I realized we were both wearing black denims and white top or tee, respectively. I nodded and retorted,” Copycat”

We entered the college and ran fast to the third floor as we finally reached the classroom. It was 11.15 Am sharp. The board displayed that the first test would be on Candida which was taught by Sir Bose. Niall and I occupied our seats and kept our bags on the floor. I drank water from my bottle as Sir Bose took to the classroom. He distributed the answer papers to everyone before scribbling the question on the board.

“Critically examine the different traits in the two male characters of Candida and differentiate between them. Give proper examples from text.”

“Yes, I have prepared this very well.” I pumped my fist as Niall laughed silently.

There was pin-drop silence in the class for the next 35 minutes as everyone got engrossed in scribbling their answers. I was expecting Niall to disturb me but surprisingly, he didn't. In fact, I got distracted a bit myself seeing him write so fast with his left hand. I had never had a leftie friend so I was in awe.

Anyway, the next two tests belonged to Madam DaGama and Madam Priyanka, respectively. They also scribbled the questions on the board as did Sir Bose.

 Madam DaGama’s question was, “Comment on the role of sea in J.M Synge’s play Riders to the Sea” while Madam Priyanka’s question was,” Justify with close reference to the text on why Look Back in Anger is a real play and not a succession of speeches.”

All the drama related questions were entirely difficult to write because they were not completely taught to us. However, we were instructed to put examples from the part of the text that we know till now which made it easy. I was quite complacent with my answers on these three papers but I assumed Look Back in Anger was top-notch as I really wrote it from my heart.

“Pheww….Those were some painful writing sessions.” I gasped as me and Niall entered the canteen for our lunch-hour.

“I didn't understand how on earth you wrote so much on Look Back in Anger.” He said and shook his head.