Chapter 49

To,

The Editor

The Walk

Madam,

              It is to inform you that due to my graduation ceremony I couldn't write my work assignments today. The ceremony for my department commences from 3.30 Pm and I don’t know when it will end. Owing to this, I couldn't work today.

              I am sorry for the inconvenience and promise to make up the next time.

Yours faithfully,

Lily Thomson.

“And sent” I murmured to myself under my breath as I clicked the send button.

Today is 19th May, 2012. Our graduation ceremony will be held today. It basically will start from 10.00 Am in the morning but the English department will be felicitated from 3.30 Pm which will also mark the end of the ceremony. The college posted in their website about the ceremony being held today on 17th May, one day after the results were announced. I seriously had no more interest left with this whole graduation thing. My heart and mind was stuck to one reality and that was Niall leaving Calcutta soon forever. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get this thought out of my mind that he will no more be around me. I cried and cried these two days only to get more and more lost. I loathed myself for doing this to me and to us, for crushing his heart and for breaking what we wanted to be our little forever. I detested myself for not believing in his love, for not having the courage to fight for us and for not bringing out my inner strength to overcome this complication like the way I did when my family left me all alone in this wide world. However, I still couldn't manage to convince myself entirely to go back to him. That tiny percent in my heart that pined for Niall stayed recessive before my dominant fear and hesitation to reconcile with him and engage myself in yet another long struggle laden journey.

My and Aarav’s relationship didn't change though all because I didn't let him comprehend anything. I talked to him normally like I did since that is what I thought to be right. He had no right to pay for my mistake. He was a simple and nice guy who genuinely liked me. He had every quality to make any girl swoon over him hence; he didn't deserve to be hurt by me. I hurt him once and I wasn't interested in repeating my mistake again. I couldn't have lived my life by hurting two boys who did the sin of liking me.

Why couldn't you live here in India, Niall? Why couldn't you stay here with me?       

I spent the morning watching television and had cereals and milk for breakfast. Friends were on rerun on Zee Café but I lied on the couch blankly peering at the television screen as I brooded over the situation that encompassed my life. I took a long bath that lasted for over 30 minutes as I washed my hair and scrubbed off dirt from my body using soap. I wondered if there was a way to scrub off dirt from my mind too. Due to immense mental and emotional exhaustion I was physically drained as well hence; strangely I consumed one big packet of instant noodles for lunch along with some orange juice.

It was around 2.45 Pm when I finished my lunch. I grappled the bowl and glass and dumped it along with the fork and spoon inside the sink. I strolled to the bathroom and washed my mouth when my mobile burst into song. I ran back to the living room and grabbed the phone that lay rested on the couch. Aarav’s number flashed on the screen and I picked it up instantly.

“Hello” I said.

“Hi, what are you doing?” He asked sounding quite excited.

“Just finished my lunch.”

“Okay. Listen, when will your ceremony end today?”

“I don’t know, why?” I furrowed my eye brows.