Chapter 39

“Okay everybody, pen’s down. See if you tied the threads properly.” A middle-aged female lecturer who I knew belonged to the history department said.

Sounds of collected murmurs resounded in the room as students hurried to finish writing the last sentence or line or word or whatever it was. The two invigilators collected the answer sheets and stacked them according to roll numbers on the table. We were soon allowed to leave the classroom.

It was the last examination of our final semesters. We had Sir Vincent’s paper of content writings and essays today. The end of the semesters not only marked the end of endless scribbling sessions (unless one was opting for higher studies) but also the commencement of an almost one month long holiday before the results would be announced by Calcutta University. Like everyone else even I was desperately waiting for this moment to arrive. I planned to spend every day and every moment with Niall, roaming around the city like two free birds. However, everything always doesn't happen according to what we plan in fact most of the times just the opposite occurs quite like my case. The pang of the non-fulfilment of something we crave for the most is unbearable, it crushes us. But people move on all the time as it is a part of life with only sweet memories leaving behind.

I was however, finding it really hard to ‘move on’ when I was the one who chose for this life, life without Niall. For that one week after I called for my own death, I was in such a state of trauma that I felt nothing in my heart, inside my body. But once I saw him on the first day of our semesters and continued seeing him all this week my senses eventually started to return. I started to feel living again. This made me realize the pain even more actively. While earlier I had trouble even shedding a tear now I couldn't stop crying. It was insufferable for me to live only with the sweet memories I spent with Niall. He wasn't just my boyfriend; he was my savior, my rescuer. He was like a shield protecting me from all the hurdles that came by much like he said I was his. Men are known to protect their women be it their partner, sister, mother or friend but it was a lot different with him. He guarded me against all the troubles while needing me to do the same when he himself became vulnerable and fragile much like a baby. Sometimes, remembering about the reality prompted me to run back to him but the thought of what he wanted ceased me.

I left the classroom and straight away walked towards the staircase to reach the fourth floor and then to the library. I was supposed to return the essays book that I borrowed for my examinations. After reaching the fourth floor, I quietly strolled towards the library and entered it. Unlike the first day, there was no queue today before the librarian. Therefore, I drew my library card and the essays book from my bag before moving towards her table. She was busy reading a book as I assumed to be with her mouth a little open while her face was buried in the book.

“Excuse me, madam.” I swallowed and summoned her.

She didn't reply.

“Madam?” I asked again.

She still didn't reply. I moved my face wondering what could be wrong with her. I couldn't poke her because I was too afraid to do that hence; I just waited thinking what to do next. Just then I heard someone’s footsteps advancing inside the library and towards me. I looked to my right to witness Niall. He wore a white vest with a victory sign on it and a sky blue half shirt on top of it along with his faded blue jeans and white Keds. His hair was messy and I could clearly mark prominent dark circles lining around his beautiful blue eyes. He walked up to me as I observed him tying the knot of the wrist band I gave to him. When he was done with it, he straight up looked into my eyes as they glistened at me. The condition of his face and physique as a whole broke my heart so I just looked away to the librarian again.

“Madam, excuse me?” I almost begged her to respond and spare me from this moment with Niall standing beside me.

“I guess, she is sleeping.” He said suddenly.