Chapter 48

Today is 16th May, 2012, the day of my graduation results. I've been waiting for this moment since the day I shifted to St. Vincent’s from Victoria’s college. A series of plans have been lying embedded inside my heart regarding this day. I had planned to immediately start looking for jobs out of Calcutta and simply leave this apartment and move out. I had planned to venture out on a new journey of life. This journey seemed very exciting and fruitful when I was with Niall but now without him it appeared extremely difficult. Of course, I had Aarav but our bonding was only starting to build unlike me and Niall.  However, with my ever present inner strength I knew that no matter how tough this path looked like I can overcome it.

As far as my papers were concerned, I was pretty complacent with how I wrote them after each examination but as is known for the nerves to get better of anyone right before the results and make them doubt their efforts, I did too. I was anxious to the extreme and couldn't wait any more. The intestines inside my body twisted into tight knots and my heart hammered against its walls. I took a glimpse at the wall clock and saw that it was 2.10 Pm.

20 minutes more…… Oh Jesus, please make everything right. I worked really hard.

I released my hand from my forehead and sighed. I grabbed the plate where I ate my lunch and dumped it inside the sink. I strolled towards my room and entered the bathroom as I washed my hands and mouth. I walked back to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator as I fetched a chilled water bottle and I emptied almost half of the bottle.

2.20 Pm……

I shifted my eyes from the wall clock and jogged back to my room as I lied on my bed with my hands stretched sideways. I peered at the ceiling fan as its constant rotations almost hypnotized me. Just then my mobile’s message tone rang as I grasped it to check. It was a message from Niall. I closed my eyes briefly and shook my head with a tiny smile on my lips as I opened to read it.

“Good luck”

“Thank you and same to you” I typed in and sent.

“Are you nervous?”

“A lot…..you?”

“Nah….. I know I’ll suck anyway.”

I laughed mildly seeing his message before I typed in,” You always say that but end up getting great marks. This time will be no different. You’ll see.”

“Okay, I hope so.” He replied as I tossed the mobile on my bed.

I slowly strolled towards my computer table and turned the computer on. I leaned before as I googled Calcutta University’s website and opened it. The clock of my computer informed that it was 2.32 Pm. My hands became stiff and my heartbeats louder than ever as the home page flashed, “Final semester results for academic year 2009-2012.” I somehow gathered the courage to click on it. A new page opened immediately as it asked me to put my roll number in a rectangular box. I left my chair and opened the night stand which had the file with the admit card in it. I read the roll number and typed it in the box as it showed,” Please wait while the page loads”. I swallowed rapidly while keeping my hands on my chest. I felt like my heart could burst open any moment. Finally the page opened as my results reflected before my eyes. I moved the page down to see my marks as my eyes almost popped out of their sockets. I got 60 % in all the subjects which added to the marks of my other semesters, helped me get first class as a whole in my graduation. I couldn't believe my eyes as tears almost instantly assembled at the corner of them. I covered my mouth with both of my palms as the fat tears rolled down within another second. I thanked Jesus in my heart for listening to my prayers as I cried incessantly until it was broken by my phone which burst into song. I strolled towards my bed and grabbed it to see Aarav’s number flashing on the screen.