[4]

A/N: It's 1:45 AM here but I randomly decided I wanted to update so here's an update! 🖤

- - -

Laila's POV

The way he said my name sends chills down my back. Something sounds off when he said it.

"Could you let James know I will be free after my meeting tonight?" He says.

I smile and nod, "Yes, of course. I will let Dr. Roberts know."

"Thank you." He doesn't smile back. He turns on his heel and walks out the door.

"You're welcome." I say even though he's already too far out to even hear me. Hopefully, that's that last time I have to see him.

Now that I think about it, couldn't he just text Dr. Roberts himself...? Maybe it's because Dr. Roberts barely has time to check his phone nowadays. I stick a note into my computer to remind myself to inform Dr. Roberts of this.

"Good afternoon, I'm here to see Dr. James Roberts? I have an appointment with him today." He follows that up with his name.

I look up to see a middle-aged man looking nervously down at me. It must be his first therapy session.

I give him my most comforting smile in hopes to make him feel at ease, "Yes, please make your way to his office." I point at Dr. Roberts' door. "He's a wonderful doctor, please make yourself comfortable. Good luck!" I say as cheerfully as I can.

His eyes soften, it seems that he's relaxed a bit. He thanks me and was walking towards the the room when he stops, "Oh! I almost forgot!" He walks back to the desk and hands me a black leather wallet. "I saw this on the floor on my way inside. I think someone who was here must've dropped it."

I take the wallet and thank him for picking it up. He disappears into Dr. Roberts' room.

I open the wallet to try to find a license or photo ID to confirm it's owner.

I slip out the driver's license and—Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

The license belongs to Alexander Romano. 

An unintentionally groan slips out of my mouth. I'm never this tense about such small things but I just want to steer clear of Mr. Romano. 

It's okay. Dr. Roberts should be able to give it back to him.

Oh, my! I forgot to let Mr. Romano That Dr. Roberts has plans tonight with Maryam and I. But I'm sure Dr. Roberts would like to spend more time with Mr. Romano. It'll be okay if he cancels our dinner.

Throughout the whole day, I kept taking glimpses at the black Hermès wallet. I even took out his license a couple of times to look at his picture. His headshot is absolutely beautiful. There's not a single hair out of place. His eyes look piercing in the photo, as if he's staring right at me.

I swear most people's government photo IDs look like really horrible mugshots. I'm not even going to think about my license photo.

• • •

"Ready to go?" Dr. Roberts comes out with his bag and suit draped on his arm.

"Yes, I'm starving." Maryam says.

"Uh... Dr. Roberts—" I begin but am cut off.

Dr. Roberts sighs, "How many times have you told you to call me James, at least after work? I feel really uncomfortable when a friend calls me by my professional name."