[30]

A/N: Happy Friday everyone! I hope you guys had a wonderful week! 🖤

- - -

Laila's POV

"This dress will blow everyone away at the engagement party, it's absolutely stunning. It really suits you! Mash'Allah!" Maryam says as she adjusts the scarf on my head.

We all decided together that I'm not much of a colourful person. I like my monochromatic colours, like black, white, grey.

Since it's a wedding during the winter and Sophie and Maryam refused to go subtle because Dr. Romano wouldn't allow it, we decided on a glamorous grey and white theme. It would blend well with the cold, snowy weather.

My engagement dress is known as a Gharara, in most South Asian culture. It consists of an elaborately embroidered grey kurti*, a heavily designed matching dupatta*, and the signature part of the outfit, which are the wide-legged pants, which is pleated at the knee so it flares out dramatically from the bottom.

It looks extremely expensive from the work that looks like that's been put into it. Sophie refuses to tell me how much it costs because she doesn't want me to freak out. She said she'd let me know of the finances after I'm married and settled because she wants me to enjoy the events.

"Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah! Mash'Allah!" Maryam's mother comes in the room. "I'm going to start crying. My beautiful little girl has grown up!" She starts getting teary.

"Oh, no! Please don't cry!" I give her a hug.

"Yes, please don't cry. Laila's makeup is expensive and took really long to do. We can't afford to mess it up." Maryam pokes fun at the situation.

"This is why I pretend Maryam's adopted." Her mother jokes.

"Ammi!" Maryam pretends to faint.

"This is how I know you two are wholeheartedly related. You're just like each other." I giggle.

"Of course. Like mother, like daughter." Maryam's mother pulls Maryam into a hug.

Then, she places a kiss on my forehead. "Your mother would have been so happy to see you get married, to see you become so successful in life. I'm sure Allah is letting her know right now that her daughter is soon to become a doctor and a wife."

I become a little emotional and Maryam quickly tells me blink into a tissue.

"Today's a joyful celebration, your tears should come from happiness, not sadness." Maryam says.

I nod.

"Also... I know you invited Ayesha and Dr. Kareem... but I also invited Ayesha's mom, Faiza auntie too!" Maryam blurts out.

I sigh, I don't argue with her. "I guess you've waited really long to humble her so I'll let this slide." I wink.

Maryam squeals in excitement. "Yes! Queen Laila excusing my childish behaviour is all I can ask for!"

• • •

Alexander's POV

"Alex, please tell me you're marrying her because you love her, please." James pleads with me as he fixes my tie.