[54]

Laila's POV

"You c-can't possibly mean t-that..." my voice cracks.

My heart is aching so much that I want to rip it out of my chest.

"Would you like for me to repeat myself, Ms. Khan?" He says with a blank expression.

He used my maiden name... does that mean we're over?

"I—" I was going to argue but I stop myself. "Okay. If that's what you want, I'll leave. But hear this, if I leave, I won't come back, Alex."

"I'm not asking you to come back. I'm asking you to leave."

I try to convince myself that I won't come back, but it's a blatant lie. If he calls me, I know I'll run back to him like a lost puppy. I hate myself for this but I know I would.

My vision quickly blurs from the tears threatening to fall.

"You need to stop pushing people away, Alex. One day, you will push people who care for you so far away that they won't ever come back. You need people to care for you, that's how humanity works or else you'll lose your mind." I give my last piece of advice.

He doesn't say anything. He mumbles something about me being annoying and walks away, closing the door behind him. 

I could hold the heartbreak no longer and I fell to the floor of the closet in a disheveled heap as my grief poured out in a flood of uncontrollable tears.

I cover my mouth with my hands to suppress the sobs from coming out too loudly.

"Why do things like this always happen to me? What have I done to receive such a cruel fate?" My chin trembles as my sobs become louder.

He really didn't care for me. He really doesn't like me, let alone love for me. It was just him wanting me temporarily and discarding me when he's bored.

I should've protected my heart. I should've built the walls higher and stronger around myself but I didn't. I let him push through and break down every piece of me that was left.

I took all the punches but this was the last blow that made me lose the battle. I couldn't do it, I couldn't deal with him anymore. I don't have the strength anymore, I'm not as strong as I used to be.

I love him and my love for him became the end of me. That's what I realized today.

• • •

I pack my bags and decide I'm leaving tonight, instead of tomorrow morning. It's only 7 PM, Maryam wouldn't mind if I crash in.

As I pass by his office room to leave, I take a peak inside.

I sigh. "Alex... I'm leaving."

He doesn't even look up from his papers.

"Take care of yourself. Goodbye." I say and walk towards the back door to the garage.

I turn around one last time and stand there for an extra few seconds, hoping he'd stop. Hoping he'd run out and hold tightly, asking me not to leave. But he doesn't. Of course, he doesn't.

I take the Lamborghini he gifted me because I feel like I deserve to keep it after all of the times he's tortured me.

I laugh out loud sadly. "I'm so pathetic. I'm trying to be petty by taking a car he gifted me. This won't hurt him one bit because he's... never mind."

• • •

I ring the doorbell but Maryam doesn't answer. So I use my key to unlock the door.