[59]

Laila's POV

"Ma'am, would you have any kind of proof, by any chance?" He asks politely.

What does he want? My marriage certificate? Does he expect me to just happen to casually carry it around?

And then I realized, he probably means a piece of identification with my last name on it.

I pull out my health card and driver's license. I had both changed a month ago.

He carefully checks my IDs, making sure it's not a fraud.

After giving them back to me, he nods. "15 minutes is all I can provide for you. If you do not return within those 15 minutes, unfortunately, I will have to escort you out."

I nod in understanding. "Thank you so much."

He moves aside to give me a pathway to the entrance. "Enjoy your time."

I say another prayer before entering. I ask Allah to forgive me for entering such a sinful place but it needs to be done.

Once I enter, it's a completely different atmosphere. It's dark but there's neon lights flashing around to give some visibility.

The music is blaring so loud, I can barely hear myself think. Everyone is swaying with the music, most are grinding up against strangers in the name of amusement, entertainment, and pleasure.

I'm a complete homebody, this whole scene is freaking out me out to my core. I push through the crowds, squinting my eyes, trying to spot Alex.

Thankfully, no one was paying attention to the fact that there's a hijabi in a nightclub because they're too busy letting everything loose.

Suddenly, I feel someone pull me backwards, out of the crowd and for a second, my mind went blank from panic. My body freezes and I didn't dare look back until—

"Dr. Khan?" Its a female voice.

I turn around to see a familiar face.

"Veronica?" She and I were in graduate school together in the same program. I lost touch with her after we graduated with our Masters.

She's giving the same confused look as the Bouncer gave me. "What are you doing here?" I'm sure she said it very loudly but the music made it sound like she was whispering.

"I'm trying to find someone." I say as loudly as I can.

"What?" She motions for me to speak louder.

"Looking. For. Someone." I repeat myself.

She makes an 'O' with her mouth. "Who?"

"Do you know Alexander Romano?" I ask.

Her eyes widen and she nods. "He's been a popular fella amongst the ladies here for the last few weeks."

Oh, that's not good.

"Do you know where he might be by any chance?" I ask.

She nods and points at the mezzanine floor. I look up to see heavy security around blocking the people.

"That's where all the VIP guests relax and unwind. They have their own private area." She explains.

"Just ask the security you'd like to speak to him and tell them who you are. You work for him, right?" She asks.

I didn't know if I should tell her I'm married to him or—

"Yes, I do. He's needed back at the hospital for a scheduled surgery." I decide against telling her about it.