[5]

A/N: I know you guys are patiently waiting for a moment between Laila x Alex but I'm building up some tension before I actually have them in a scene together. hahaha! 😉

- - -

Laila's POV

"Oh, I'm so sorry. We didn't mean to pry." I apologize while trying to keep my eyes on the road.

"I'm really rich. No, I'm filthy rich. But am I going back to my father? No, no I'm not. I make my own money now. I'll show him." James' words are still unclear but I caught the gist of it.

"My God, he's really lost it." Maryam sighs.

"Lets pretend we didn't hear any of that." I say.

Maryam nods, "You're right. It's none of our business."

As I take the last turn into the neighbourhood, both Maryam and I gasp. It's one of those gated communities with each mansion taking up acres of land. We finally reached his neighbourhood after a 25 minute drive.

"He was not joking when he said he's filthy rich." Maryam says, gaping at the ginormous mansions.

"No, he wasn't." I agree.

We reach the security barrier that we have to pass to officially enter the neighbourhood.

I roll down my window, "Hi, um—my friend and I are here to drop Dr. James Roberts off at his house." I roll down the window of the back to prove that he's in the car.

"Names and I.Ds?" The security guard asks.

I take out my driver's license and hand it to him. Maryam gives me hers to hand it over as well. "Our names are Laila Khan And Maryam Ali." I say.

He types our names down in the computer in the visitors catalog. "Yes, your names are in the system already as approved visitors."

I look back at Maryam who looks as shocked as me.

He also checks the car plate to match it with the one in his system to verify James' car.

"You're good to go, Ma'am. Please proceed. Have a great night." He says in a monotone voice as he opens the barricade.

"Thank you." I say as I take back our I.Ds and roll up the window.

"Ya Allah, we were already approved visitors. He knew he'd end up a situation like this some day." Maryam giggles.

I smile, "What a weird night." Then, I suddenly stop the car, "Wait, how exactly do we open his front gates?"

Maryam looks over at James and pokes him. "James! How do we break into your house?"

"Drive up." Is all he says.

So I drive up to the royal-looking front gates of his house and there's a beep from the infotainment system from his car indicating that the front gates are opening.

"Wow." Maryam and I say in sync.

As I drive in, the gates automatically close behind us.

There's a luxurious water fountain right in the middle of the circular driveway leading to the front door of the actual house.

I park the car right in front of the house and open the door for James.

"Do you think you can hold yourself up, James?" I ask in hopes that the alcohol has subdued a little.

He nods. "I'm so sorry for the trouble. I'm really trying to quit drinking for good but it isn't working out that great." He laughs nervously.

Maryam and I laugh. Then Maryam says, "No, it isn't. You've also been hiding a double life behind our backs, I see."