[69]

Laila's POV
- Two Years Later -

"Alex!" I call out.

He comes rushing through the doors. "Is it time?"

I start giggling. "I'm only in my third month. You need to calm down. The little one isn't due until six months from now."

"I'm sorry. I'm nervous... and fucking excited." He grins.

"You need to tone down the swearing, Dr. Romano. I don't want the little one to hear one bit of it." I frown.

"Right, right." He caresses my barely visible bump. "We're going to be parents."

I rest my head on his shoulder. "We are."

His tone drops. "What if I'm not a good enough father? What if I turn into my own..." he doesn't continue.

I look up at him but he avoids my gaze, which makes me frown.

I hold his face in between my hands, slightly turning it to face me. "First of all, you are not your father. Second of all, there is no such thing as a perfect parent, but there is such thing as a real parent." I take his hand and place it on my stomach. "All you have to do is give this little one your love, affection, and care. Everything else will just fall into place."

I finally looks me in the eyes, his eyes sparkling like translucent honey under the sun.

He leans down, his nose brushing mine. "It's been three years since I've met you and somehow, you find ways to impress me every single day."

"I wish I could say the same for you... you seem to have a hard time impressing me; once a month is a rarity." I tease him.

"Dr. Laila Romano, are you trying to tease me?" He raises a brow.

"Yes, Dr. Alexander Romano, I am." I smile.

"I guess you don't need this from me, then." He pulls away, with a playful smile on his face.

I smirk. "Where do you think you're going?" I pull him back and place my lips on his.

This never gets old. I've been with him for almost three years, yet the feeling of his lips bring the same joy it did when I first tasted them.

"I have to go to work." I say after pulling away.

I'm finally a licensed doctor with a PhD. I ended up going through school rather quickly because I had enough time and hands-on experience in the field.

I found out I had fallen pregnant a month after my graduation. I guess life works in amazing ways sometimes, doesn't it?

I had told Alex the second he came home from work and the excitement on his face is something I will cherish forever. He was genuinely happy for us. I couldn't believe that we were going to be parents.

His enthusiasm was on an all-time-high that he phoned Sophie immediately to place orders for custom-made baby clothes and accessories.

I had to carefully get him off of his high horse before he gets too ahead of himself and told him we would start the prep a few months in. He agreed so now that we're on the third month, we've finally started the prep, slowly.

It wasn't all excitement and joy around that time... It seemed that Maryam and James were in some sort of tense situation around the time of my graduation. It was to the point where Maryam had almost quite working at the clinic. Once I found out everything, I told her to do what she thought was right for her. It ended well, Subhan'Allah (God is perfect).