[48]

Alexander's POV

Laila has been acting odd for a little while now. It's almost as if she's trying to hide something but isn't doing a very good job at it.

She been getting extremely nervous around me. She gets edgy, her words come out as a stutter from time to time, clear signs of paranoia.

I click and un-click my pen on the desk as I start thinking about what it could be.

My thoughts are interrupted when Olivia walks in.

"Yes, Dr. Miller?" Whenever Olivia comes around, she always has something to complain about.

"Are you treating Laila right? Because if you're not, I'll throw my scalpel at you." She plops down on the chair in front of me.

I don't look up at her. "Isn't that a bit too brutal, Dr. Miller?"

"No. I'll go from Dr. Miller to Dr. Killer if you hurt that angel of a woman." She says casually.

"I see. Is that all you came to complain about today?" I ask.

"No, Dr. Romano. I actually came to ask, do you have the number for the guy that fixes your security cameras at your place? Mines been acting up." She says.

It's almost as if the wheels in my mind start spinning again.

Security cameras.

I had security cameras installed inside the house before Laila moved in because I didn't trust her. I never checked up on it because of my busy schedule.

"Hello?" Olivia snaps her fingers in front of my face. "Number, please!"

I groan. She really won't leave until I give her the number. I text her the number and get her to quickly leave my office.

I open my laptop and open up the security camera feed.

I plug in my earphones to the laptop and turn up the sound. It looks like she's on the phone with someone, her facial expression is a clear form of nerves and anxiety.

"How come nobody from his family attended the wedding?" She asks.

What the—

"Thank you... No, he won't be." she continues on.

"I'm sure he was very spoiled, sir. But as someone who's in the specific field of cognitive sciences, I have the right to believe that being spoiled does not make a man behave like Alex, it's something more."

It hits me who she's talking to. There's only one person to ever say my behaviour comes from being spoiled.

She's talking to my father.

My knuckles turn white from clenching my fists too hard. I start gritting my teeth to keep myself from screaming, swallowing the poison back into my system. Surprising my anger feels like acid going down my throat, burning and slicing up my insides on its way down.

I told her not to do this. I told her to stay out of my fucking life. All she had to do was obediently listen to my rules.

This is the biggest fucking mistake she's ever made. She shouldn't have called him, she shouldn't have. There's consequences to her actions, there will always be consequences to her actions.