[14]

Laila's POV

"You brought the wrong fucking papers!" His shouting in his deep loud voice.

"I—I'm—those were the only papers in the drawers." My hands begin shaking. "I'm so sorry, I can quickly go back to get—"

He grabs me by my waist and slams me against the wall. I wince as my back makes contact with the wall. I bite my lip to hold back my whimper.

"I have not been late to a meeting once in my career. I have not brought the wrong papers once in all my time of working. I have not made a single mistake." His tone grows quieter, but the terrifying kind of quieter.

"Dr. Romano, I'll fix it. Just give me a chance. I'll fix it." My voice is a whisper. I don't dare raise it.

His grip around my waist tightens and he slams his hand onto the wall right beside my face making a small cry escape my lips.

"You've already done it though, haven't you? You forgot the papers, made me late for the meeting. You already made too many mistakes." His words instantly make the atmosphere around us feel dangerous.

He slowly closes the gap between our bodies. He presses himself against me, making my heart beat out of my chest. This is wrong, this is very wrong, but I don't cry out neither do I scream. My whole body freezes and I was certain I was going to pass out.

He swipes his thumb across my trembling lip and rests his hand on my cheek. "Every mistake you make will have consequences, kitten."

He doesn't look at me as he speaks. His eyes are lingering on my lips. He licks his own lips as he strokes mine one more time with his thumb. "The more mistakes you make, the more you upset me. The more you upset me, the closer you'll come to see the real reason for your position."

"Please, let me go." I beg him. Tears threaten to fall over the edge of my eyes as I place a shaky hand on his chest and push him away as hard as I could. "Please." He's far too strong for me to push away with such little strength I have at the moment.

I try to slip through the space between this arms but he catches me by my waist and pushes me harder against the wall that I can feel my shoulders aching as if they're about to shatter.

His beautiful, sharp features twist into a sinister smirk as he throws his head back to laugh in an ominous way. He leans down beside my right ear, his lips are so close to my ear that I can feel the movement of his lips on the skin.

"Where do you think you were going?" He whispers mockingly. "You cannot run out of my grasps unless I let you, kitten. You signed your life away to the Devil and there is no way of getting out unless the Devil himself lets you."

All of a sudden, I couldn't hear the ticking of the clock in the room. I couldn't hear anything. It's as if time froze, the ticking of the clock has slowed down until I just couldn't hear it anymore. The atmosphere around me turns colder, the colours around me turn darker, the motions around me slower. My insides twist and turn until I feel almost hollow.

Sophie's words ring in my ear repetitively:

You sold your soul to the Devil, my sweet child.

"I sold my soul to the Devil." I repeat. I don't know if I'm saying it out loud to confirm it to myself or if I'm saying it to him.

He stays silence.