[63]

Laila's POV

I had to be woken up for my scheduled medicine. I made sure to tell the nurse not to wake Alex up.

She nodded. She gave me my medicine, breakfast and quietly walked out.

Later on, I thought it's time to wake him up because he probably hasn't had anything to eat or drink for a while.

"Alex..." I whisper at first but he doesn't move.

I lift my hand up to brush the blondes away from his face.

My God, he's absolutely gorgeous. I begin to blush uncontrollably because I haven't really looked at him in a really long time.

Every time I watch him in his most blissful state, he looks entirely graceful and delicate. Unfortunately, it's almost always while he's asleep. He seems to always lose his relaxed state the second he wakes up, as if the edge returns the second he opens his eyes.

I caress his hair as I call out his name a little louder. That seems to have done it as his eyes shoot open to meet mine.

"Laila! You're awake." He looks at me restlessly.

"Yes, I'm—" he cuts off my sentence and stands up, looking panicked.

"Should I call the nurse? Do you want anything to eat? Drink? Did they give you your medicine—"

"Alex!" I call out his name to catch his attention. "Please, sit down. I'm fine, trust me. They've been taking care of me." I smile.

He sits down and I slip my fingers through his.

"I'm really okay." I reassure him.

"You shouldn't have done that. You shouldn't have jumped in front of me like that." He runs his fingers through his hair in slight frustration.

"Then, who else was going to do it?" I pout.

"No one. No one needed to. I would have probably deserved it." He frowns.

"Alex, you're so self-destructive, I'm scared for you." I say in a whispering tone.

It's silent for a few seconds until he sighs. "If I let you go—"

"Don't be stupid!" I don't even let him finish the sentence. "I'm not going anywhere. You don't leave the person you love because they carry baggage. You work through it in every possible way until you literally have no options."

I just said the person you love... did he catch that or did it slip over his head...

Alex looks exhausted, not just physically, but mentally.

I place my hand on his cheek. "We'll talk about this when I'm discharged."

He looks at me with these longing eyes, there's something he's asking but I'm not sure if it's what I think it is. So, I answer the question I assume he's asking himself.

"Yes, I'm coming home with you, Alex. If possible, could you ask Maryam to bring my things back to the house?"

Instantaneously, his eyes light up. Yep, I guessed right, this is the question he was just asking himself. "You're coming home?"

I nod and place a soft kiss on the back of his hand. "I'm coming home."

• • •

After about three weeks, Olivia approved my discharge. I still have slight trouble walking but it's not big deal. The burning, bone-melting pain has subsided. I'm just not allowed to do any heavy-lifting of any kind and the pain should fully heal within a week.