[19]

Laila's POV

"This would look absolutely beautiful on you." Maryam hands me a long, white anarkali dress. The flowy gown-like top has gold embroidery done from the front. It's simple yet somehow extravagant.

I hold it up against me. "Don't you think this is a bit... much?"

She huffs. "It's literally the simplest thing I can find for you. It's an Indian engagement party, are you expecting to wear a simple cotton top?"

"I guess not." I frown.

"Besides, I think Ammi has plans on trying to find us rich, handsome grooms there." Maryam laughs. "Who knows? Maybe we'll bump into our future husbands there."

I roll my eyes. "Reasons why I avoid brown people gatherings."

She hands me a gold tikka* that is embellished in white pearls. She also hands me earrings that match the tikka.

I drape a white chiffon scarf around my hair and hang the scarf that comes with the outfit on my shoulders.

Maryam herself has taken this chance to look as extra as possible because she doesn't get to dress like this often enough.

She wears a jacket-style light pink anarkali. The dress is embroidered in detail with silver from top to bottom. She pairs hers with a silver tikka and large earrings.

Come to think of it, I feel like even I enjoy dressing up for cultural wedding events. It's just filled with so much detail and extravaganza that you don't get to see everyday.

"Mash'Allah (God has willed), we look gorgeous." Maryam says as she proudly looks at our reflections in the mirror. "Now let's go to the event, outshine the bride and find ourselves some rich, handsome men to marry."

"Maryam!" I playfully slap her arm.

"I'm just kidding! You already know I'm only going because I don't get to dress like this often! And, of course, for the delicious variety of food." She winks.

• • •

When we enter the hall, Maryam's mother runs towards us and holds me in a long embrace.

"Assalamualikum! I've missed you so much!" She says.

Maryam pouts. "You're always nicer to Laila than me."

"That's because Laila's the daughter I wish I had." She says with a serious face.

Maryam clutches her heart in a dramatic way. "I'm hurt!"

Then the two of them burst out into laughter as her mother gives her a warm hug.

"Both of you look absolutely gorgeous! Mash'Allah!" Her mother smiles. "Maybe we can score you both a husband today?" She winks.

I give her a nervous laughter. "Or maybe not?"

• • •

The bride's name is Ayesha, she's the daughter of Maryam's mom's friend. Maryam and I have known her for years. We are good friends but we started talking less and less because adulthood got in the way.

"I'm glad you two made it!" Ayesha says as she gives each of us a hug. "I know both of you are busy with your careers."

"Of course we made it. We made sure we could attend." Maryam smiles.

"You two look amazing! Wow, Mash'Allah!" Ayesha beams.

"Thank you so much!" Maryam and I say.