[17]

A/N: sorry I'm updating so late! I usually upload a chapter at 12PM EST but today I was at my best friend's house all day and it's 12:00AM now... BUT I HOPE YOU ENJOY!

- - -

Laila's POV

A week has passed, and let me tell you, it's been a long week. Though Dr. Romano hadn't had time to to torture me himself because of his constant busy schedule. The whole week he had been performing intense, extensive surgeries that lasted over eight hours sometimes.

However, he did manage to torture me implicitly by giving me enough work to keep me busy for the next five years. I shouldn't complain though. His work is way more pressuring than the paper work he gives me.

On Friday, I jump into bed at 8PM and knock out instantly. Maryam and I usually spend Friday nights at home watching movies or catching up on shows. But tonight, I'm extremely exhausted to even keep my eyes open.

Maryam noticed my exhaustion and sent me to bed herself. She said she has a few work things to finish up anyways so she wouldn't have been able to watch. I know she's lying to make me not feel guilty for skipping our Friday night tradition but you know me, I feel guilty anyways.

Around 3:30AM, my phone begins to ring, jolting me awake.

"H-hello?" My voice is groggy.

"Hello? Ms. Khan?" It's Sophie.

"Sophie, it's 3 in the morning, I don't have work today. Can I just..." I begin dozing off again.

"Ms. Khan! I think there's something wrong with Mr. Romano. I'm in another city right now, I need you to go check up on him." Sophie sounds panicked.

It's as if someone threw ice cold water on me, I'm instantly awake. "What? What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know! I've been calling him ever since he finished work. I needed to inform him about his upcoming conference, which I can't make it to because of other commitments. I was trying to call to let him know but he didn't pick up the phone." Her voice is in pure panic mode. That's how I know she isn't joking.

I try to think logically. "What if he's just sleeping? He had a tough week."

"He always picks up his phone. If he misses my call, he calls back within the next 30 minutes. Ms. Khan, this is really unlike him. I called him twenty times." Sophie says.

"I'll leave in five minutes." My own nerves are tightening from anxiety.

"Since I took a whole week off next week, I left my car and keys with your friend, Dr. Ali because I thought it would help you get to work easier. I gave it to her yesterday morning. Please use that to get to him."

"Thank you so much, Sophie. I'll give you an update once I reach there." I tell her.

"Please do. Drive safely!" She says and hangs up.

I jump out of bed and rush to the bathroom. I can't be driving drowsily so I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face to wake myself up.

I don't even change out of my pyjamas. I grab a black scarf, quickly wrap it around my head and run to the kitchen to find the car keys on the counter.

I send a quick text to Maryam, explaining the situation instead of her waking her up. Then, I leave for his house.

• • •

The security at the gates is someone else tonight. I'm sure Noah only works morning to evening shifts. I show him my ID and he lets me through.

My grip on the steering wheel gets tighter as I come closer to his house. I click the button in Sophie's car that opens the front gates of his house.