[56]

A/N: another early update bc I'm going out to watch Captain Marvel (IM SO EXCITED) & won't have time to post at the usual time. Enjoy! ❤️

- - -

Laila's POV

The past week or so, I've been lugging around like a zombie. Not having enough energy to do anything, my mood is always down in the dumps.

Maryam has been the most amazing best friend a person could ever ask for. She didn't ask me about what happened, she didn't push me to tell her everything. She even told me to take as long as I need to relax until I'm ready to talk to Alex again.

Speaking of Alex, he hasn't bothered to communicate with me at all; not a text, a call, a email, a letter, nothing.

I shouldn't be surprised, He did basically kick me out of the house after declaring his hatred for me.

Can't believe I almost told him I lov—

"Look what I brought you!" Maryam walks into my room with a tray in her hand.

I turn away from the window to face Maryam. Her face is all lit up.

I try to give her my best smile. She's been trying to cheer me up every single day, bringing me something that would excite me. I feel like the most horrible friend when I can't reciprocate the same excitement back to her.

I've been letting her drive my car for the past few days so I've been keeping her busy with that, trying to keep her focused on something else.

"There's this shawarma place that opened up near here and I got you shawarma!" She places the tray in front of me with a grin on her face.

"Awe, thank you, Maryam! How did you know I was craving this? You're the best!" Truth to be told, I can't keep food down in my stomach. I can only take a few bites before I feel like throwing up.

I barely have an appetite but I can't make Maryam sad.

However... right now, the smell of shawarma actually smells absolutely delicious.

I dig in and it actually tastes phenomenal.

"This is so good!" I say with my mouth stuffed with food.

"Chew and then speak!" Maryam scolds me.

I nod.

After eating a few more bites, I was full. Or more like, I lost my appetite again.

Maryam frowns. "Dr. Romano didn't call or anything yet?"

I shake my head. Who's going to tell her there's a possibility this is the end for Alex and I?

"What's up with his ginormous ego? He's going to lose a perfectly good wife because he can't man up to give you a call and apologize." She huffs.

Suddenly, her phone rings. She looks at her screen and raises a brow.

"Hey." She answers. "Uh... right now? ... Can I come along? ... Why not? ... Ugh, fine. I'll give her the phone but if she's not feeling like going, then I'm not letting her leave."

She puts her phone down to ask me. "James wants to talk to you."

My stomach drops. I know he talked to Alex. I know he went that exact day I came back home a mess.

I grab the phone.

"H-hello?" I greet him.

"Hey, Laila. Are you feeling better?" He asks with worry in his tone.