Five: Mate

"Hey, guess what?" Jimin said excitedly as he sat down in between his two friends. He was a lot later than usual today, due to him falling asleep at the kitchen table and his sister waking him up when she was getting ready for work, "I saw a wolf last night!"

Taehyung jerked his head around to look at him, his face serious, "A wolf?!"

"I didn't know there were wolves here," Jimin mused, getting his stuff from his bag, "But it definitely wasn't a dog. It was so much bigger than I ever thought a wolf would be, and it was beautiful,"

Yoongi nodded, "I've seen a wolf every now and then," He said, "There's a pack in the forest but they don't come to the edge very often,"

"What did it look like?" Taehyung asked, his face still serious.

"I thought it was albino," Jimin said, "But it wasn't. It was pure white and had these big silvery-blue eyes,"

Taehyung hummed a little and leaned back in his chair, "That's the pack's Alpha," He said quietly, "It's a female and it's weird that she was on her own. You shouldn't talk about the wolves, though,"

"Why?" Jimin asked, "And how do you know it's a female and the Alpha?"

Taehyung's eyes flickered to the group across the room, "There are people in the town who want the wolves dead," He said, "If they know you saw one, they would hound you about it. Just keep it to yourself, yeah? Don't let anyone hear you talking about them,"

"Oh," Jimin said, "That's horrible. Okay, I won't talk about it. I'll keep it silent,"

---

Bee immediately knew that her pack had heard the new boy talking about her. Each and every head jerked to her and she could feel the anger radiating from Namjoon, who was sat beside her.

"Alpha, you went out alone?!" Jungkook hissed from behind her, obviously upset.

"She's allowed to have a run if she wants," Cheng defended her, "You can't tell her what to do, she's the Alpha-"

"Bee what the fuck?!" Namjoon growled, cutting Cheng off, "You went out alone at night without anyone with you?!"

Bee turned to look at him, still calm, "I wanted to take a run,"

"That's dangerous!" Namjoon snapped, "Doing such a stupid thing! What if-"

"I am quite capable of taking care of myself," Bee narrowed her eyes, beginning to get irritated. She knew her pack were trying to look out for her, but the lack of respect and trust was unbelievable.

"I know that," Namjoon growled, "But it was still stupid! As your second in command and mate, I'm telling you that if-"

All of the pack jumped back as a blast of heat erupted from Bee's body. Her eyes had already turned from silver to the dancing flames of red and yellow, and there was a black, burned handprint on the desk where her hand was.

"Kim Namjoon," She snarled at him, "You are not my mate and you are second in command, not first. If you continue to talk to me like that I will-"

Bee felt a touch on her elbow and heard a hiss of pain from behind her.

"Bee, this isn't the place," Daisy said, her head low in a sign of submission, "We can't do this here, I'm sorry,"

Bee realised suddenly that she was beginning to produce smoke from her skin. If she continued, she could burn all her clothes off or worse - set fire to the room.

She stood up angrily, her eyes still on Namjoon, "Do not follow me. Any of you!" Without even grabbing her bag, Bee swept quickly from the room, just as the teacher entered. 

The pack let out a sigh of relief, but it was still tense between them.

"I can't believe she went out without us," Hoseok muttered, leaning back in his chair, "What if something happened?"

"Are we just going to brush over the fact that Namjoon was just dumped?" Jungkook sniggered, "Not Alpha's mate anymore, huh?"

Namjoon snarled at him and Daisy sighed, "Enough, guys. Can't you tell that she's upset about something?" She looked around at the males, "And you guys aren't showing her proper respect as our Alpha. She could take you all on in a fight, despite you being bigger than her. Do you really want her to have to remind you of your positions in the pack?"

Silence fell amongst them and Namjoon stood up, "I'm going after her," He muttered, ignoring the teacher as he left the room, also leaving his belongings behind.