43

Z A C H A R Y

I woke up early in the morning and asked the maid to prepare my breakfast early. I looked at myself in the mirror and grimaced immensely. My face looked awful.

I wasn't able to get some sleep last night. I felt restless and just kept on tumbling on my bed. In the end, I just did work related things to let the night pass.

"I can tell your secretary that you can't go to work if you want, Sir." Andrei suggested but I disagreed.

"I'm going to work, Andrei. Being gone for a week is already too much." I said and he nodded.

He quickly assisted me to go to my car and he sat on the driver's seat. He quickly drove the car away from my house and entered the high way.

"Sir, your father called again to ask if you agree with the plan for your birthday party." I couldn't help but groan about that matter.

"Just say yes, he won't be listening to my opinion anyway."

I felt Andrei's sympathetic stare from the mirror. I just fixated my gaze outside and looked at the places we pass by. This is more like it.

"I'll go to your father's house to personally deliver your response, Sir. Do you want me to say anything to him other than that?" Andrei asked and I looked at him.

"If I ask you to stick your middle finger in front of him, will you do it? If you can't they you should just go." I ordered and entered the company.

I quietly situated myself inside my office and buried myself with all the work I had to do. I was busy inside my office when somebody knocked and Violet appeared.

"Good morning, Sir." she said and didn't spare any time to read my appointments.

"Okay, you can go." I mindlessly reiterated. I would like to slap myself for answering her coldly but I remembered what I did.

"Then, I'll be on my way Sir." her sweet voice said and she left my office.

I felt tremendous pain after she left. But what right do I have to feel hurt? I put fire into a pit and now it is finally burning me again. I sighed and get back to work.

The day was coming to an end when I realized that I had one more appointment for today. I sighed and called Violet.

"Please cancel my last appointment, Violet." I said and ended the call quickly.

After awhile, I remembered that I had to ask Violet something so I decided to go to her office than just calling. It needs to be explained so I thought of asking her personally.

I fixed my coat and was about to knock when I heard little sobs from inside. My hand stopped midway from knocking on the door to her office.

My brows creased and I felt hurt just by hearing her cry. I clenched my fist and wanted to punch myself so much. I knew why she was crying.

I was the idiot behind those tears and it brought me an opaque feeling which I can't figure out what. No matter how much I'd like to embrace her and tell her that everything will be fine, I was in no position to do so.

That would make me a thick faced guy. I surely know that seeing me won't help her. It would only bring her pain and it will keep tormenting her about what happened. Seeing me might be the last thing she would like to do.

I sighed and walked away. I can't handle hearing her cry. It was the worst sound I can ever hear in this world. Listening to it is like killing myself over and over again.

When I entered the office, my phone rang. My sister's name was flashed on the screen and I hit the receive.

"Zachary, father kept bugging me to tell you to come. Can't you please obey him just this once?" Zaria said over the phone.

"Tell him to not bother on getting me to eat dinner in that house."

"He's not budging, okay? Do you think I would call you if I already convinced him that you won't come?"

"Zaria, when did I ever eat dinner in that house?" I asked to make her remember that I swore to God not to go back to that hellhole.

"Aunt Rosie's nice. Why don't you try to get along with her?" she asked and my breathing hitched.

"I didn't ask whether she's nice. I'm not discussing this topic with you anymore, goodbye Zaria." I ended the call and threw my phone on the couch.

I touched my head and calmed myself.

When I already calmed myself, I stood up to leave. It was already six o'clock and I'm going home.

Andrei was waiting for me by the entrance to the parking lot and he got my brief case. He carried it for.

"Sir, your father had called awhile ago if you can join them for dinner today. What should I tell him, Sir?" Andrei asked while we were walking in the parking lot heading towards the car.

What's with him and dinner? When will he ever accept that I'm not coming over ever again? He should have known that when he degraded me and cursed me that I will never become successful, he already lost the right to call himself as my father.

He was a thick faced and narrow-minded old man that believes in himself more than anyone. He values his self-esteem so much as if that would make him live longer. To hell with a rich business man as a father when he can't even act like one.

I lifted my head and quickly halted when I saw Violet. She looked very vibrant unlike when she was in my office. She was smiling from ear to ear.

My gaze landed on the guy next to her. The guy got Violet's bag and they seemed so happy together.  The guy was the same guy who always pick up Violet from her work. He must really be her boyfriend.

For some reason, I felt an unbearable pain in my heart. It was so excruciatingly painful and it clenches my heart more when I see them together.

I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist. I badly wanted to punch the guy next to Violet. I felt the urge of challenging him to a fist fight.

"Sir? What should I tell your father?" Andrei had pulled me after I fell into a trance.

I looked at him and he was gazing at me waiting for me to respond to his question. "Tell him I don't fancy a dinner with them."

"Yes, Sir." he said and opened the car door for me before driving the car.