Siren

This was requested by belloroy! Thank you for the request and as always, enjoy!

Walking along the beach, you glanced down at the first-place surfing trophy in your hands. Behind you, there was a party for the end of the competition, but you don't feel like celebrating. It's not like anyone is going to notice that you're gone anyway. That's not why you're upset though.

 Your mom didn't even bother to show up. Your mom came up with the excuse that her new boyfriend wanted to take her out to dinner, like they always do. She always promises to make it up by going to the next competition, she never does though. There are even times she'll punish you for being upset that she's never there for you. Now she's run out of chances to make it up to you.  This was your last competition, and you're leave for college soon. To be honest you're glad you're leaving. Ever since your dad and little brother died, she's only gotten worse in her neglect.

Reaching the lagoon that you consider your safe space, you frowned when you saw a couple of younger high school kids laughing and throwing large rocks in the water. You immediately knew you had to stop when one of them picked up some glass and threw it in.

"Hey, knock that off." You warned, approaching them.

"Or what?" The ringleader taunted making you glare at them.

"I have a big metal object that can do plenty of damage and no one will think to look for your corpse in the belly of a shark." You threatened, watching them go pale before they ran off.

Reaching in to take the glass out of the water, you froze when you saw a long white tail trapped under a large boulder. You've never seen a fish with that kind of tail before. Following it up, your mouth fell open when you saw the man watching you in the water. He was still, but clearly alive. Removing the glass from the water, you reached under the boulder and managed to roll it away. Watching as he swirled around the lagoon before returning to you.

"Thank you." He spoke, surprising you a little, "May I know the name of the human who saved me?"

"(Y/N), what's yours, merman?" You questioned, sitting with your feet in the water as he jumped to sit by you on shore.

"Atl, a siren, actually." He introduced, with a smile, "I saw how you escaped the waves from here. You did it very well. It was beautiful. You were my favorite one."

Realizing he meant he saw you surfing, you attempted to give him a small smile. Even if it was fake, he seemed to have bought it. At least he was impressed with what you did. He might not completely understand what surfing is, but he still complimented you on it.

"We call it surfing." You explained, "We use the wave, we don't really try to escape it. Thank you though."

He nodded with amazement, before he eyed the trophy by you, "Is that part of this surfing ritual?"

"It's what you get when you win." You showed him the trophy, earning a large smile and a shrilled clicking noise from him.

"So that means you are more superior than the others. You truly are amazing." His eager honesty made you laugh.

"Well at least someone's happy and was watching me." You giggled, looking down.

"Your parents must be so proud to have an offspring so talented." Swallowing the lump in your throat, you tried to hold back your tears, "Have I said anything wrong?"

"No." You coughed in an attempted to clear your voice, "The exact opposite. I really appreciate everything you're saying to me."

Looking back down, you flinched when you felt a cold webbed hand hold your face, "They why do you look so heartbreakingly sad?"