Chapter 11

I got dressed and put on the clothes that Lee Know had given me

I got dressed and put on the clothes that Lee Know had given me. His sweatshirt swallowed me whole but felt very comfy and cozy.

His sweatpants were too long and it was a fight to get them to stay on. They fell too low on my hips. I looked in the mirror at the sad state of my face and sighed.

I wish I looked better for him.

I opened the door and saw him sitting on the ground as one of the cats ran away from him. I could hear him chuckle at it, and my heart swelled.

I wanted him. And he was right there. I walked quietly up behind him and wrapped my arms around his waist. One of his hands covered where mine met, and I felt his thumb stroke the back of my hand. I took it as an invitation.

I kissed the back of his neck for a moment. I could hear my pulse in my ears, but I swear I heard him let out a breathy moan before jumping forward as if his brain had delayed sharing with his body what was happening.

"Han we can't," Lee Know said. Again, I immediately felt rejected.

"Is it me? Am I not good enough?" I wanted to cry. All of my insecurities around relationship building were bubbling to the surface.

"No, no," Lee Know rushed to sit beside me again after realizing how upset he'd made me. "It's not you. You're perfect."

"Then what?" I asked. "Because when you're drunk you like me, but when you're sober I'm not good enough."

That seemed to sting him. I hadn't even meant to say it. Hell, I hadn't even realized that it was true until it came out of my mouth.

"I just can't. I'm sorry."

I nodded and tapped the floor for the closest cat to come over. It was Dori again. I pet his head and Lee Know just watched with sad eyes.

I picked the cat up to hold it, and it scratched me across my neck just below my stitches.

"Ouch," I winced. I dropped Dori who ran away, and Lee Know jumped to make sure my stitches were okay.

His face was inches from mine as he examined my new wounds.

"He's not very social yet," Lee Know said, his words hitting my lips.

I just stared at him. His eyes were careful and thorough.

"You're okay," he whispered. His face was still close, and he had one hand resting on my neck. I would swear I could feel each individual line from his fingerprints where they sat against my skin.

"That's good," I whispered back, not daring to move.

I felt intoxicated by how close we were. My heart reached out for him and pounded against my chest. I closed my eyes slowly and inhaled, absorbing his natural honey scent in my lungs.

"Don't move," Lee Know whispered.

Eyes still closed, I remained completely motionless.

Even though I couldn't see, I could feel Lee Know inching closer. His warmth wrapped around me. One of his hands found my waist and the hand that had been on my jaw wound its way through my hair.