Chapter 43

Chan POV

Chan POV

It had been over a week since we'd rescued Han. I'd had surgery to remove the bullet fragments in my shoulder. Hyunjin had come to terms with the fact that his family had disowned him. Lee Know had barely spoken a word or left Han's side. Han still hadn't woken up. All in all, we weren't doing well.

I'd had to call and tell Mrs. Seo about Felix. She promised to track down his family to notify them. I spent days researching to find Lily's family and made an anonymous call from a pay phone to tell them that both Lily and Felix had died.

It was the most difficult call I'd ever made in my life.

Neither of them deserved to die so young...especially like that. I could still see Felix's smile when he told Lee Know that Lily was alive. He had been so hopeful and excited to hold her even if it was just one more time.

I chose to believe Felix dying was meant to happen. He died having found his wife. He died to be with her. And just as selflessly as he lived, Felix blocked the bullet from hitting Han. I chose to believe he'd done so intentionally. I needed to believe that it wasn't all for nothing.

Lily had saved Felix so Felix could save Han.

I sat in a chair in the hospital waiting room. I'd not left for more than a few hours since we got away from the Hwang's house. Honestly, I didn't even know where to go apart from my room at the Seo house, but I didn't feel like being there right now.

I'd gone to get the wedding photo from Felix's apartment so Changbin wouldn't find it and was washed over with sadness the moment I walked through the door. I'd left immediately after getting the picture to avoid a full-on breakdown.

Hyunjin rounded the corner snacking on trail mix from the vending machine. He plopped down in the seat beside me and offered me some. I took a handful and picked at it.

None of us were ready to talk about what we'd gone through, but it was worse for Hyunjin and Lee Know. They'd been there for over a week. If I wasn't ready to talk with them simply because I saw Felix and Lily every time I closed my eyes, they definitely weren't ready. They'd gone through losing Felix and Lily on top of whatever torturous shit they were forced to undergo by that psychotic family.

Hyunjin didn't look like he was hurt as badly as Lee Know and Han. They had burns all over their body whereas Hyunjin was just bruised. Maybe his family had a soft spot for him after all.

I'd discovered all of them stripped down to just their boxers, though. I assumed Jeongin was to blame for that...sadistic perv.

Lee Know walked out of Han's room looking exhausted. He'd been sleeping on the floor or on chairs he smushed together. He didn't want to leave Han even for even a single moment.

I took out my headphones. "Any changes?" I asked.

Lee Know just shook his head. "What if I was too late? What if he never wakes up?" His voice was rattled in worry.