Chapter 61

Chan POV

Chan POV

I walked into my office at the Seo house feeling exhausted, pissy, and annoyed as hell.

Exhausted because, even though Hyunjin and I had moved into Lee Know's for more space, he had spent nearly every night in my bed because he was still having nightmares about his family. This wouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but he woke up almost every hour screaming, and I'd have to lull him back to sleep. But it was my job to care for him now and make him feel comfortable so that he'd eventually confide in me or Mrs. Seo, so I consoled him without complaining and drank gallons of coffee.

Pissy because I knew I'd be seeing Mrs. Seo today, and I had to pray that Changbin hadn't told her anything. I knew deep down why Han had given up keeping everything a secret from him, but it put us all in a lot of danger. Keeping Changbin in the dark had been her number one priority.

And annoyed as hell because I was about to have to seduce Seungmin on top of everything else. I knew it made the most logical sense for me to do this instead of Lee Know or Han, but it didn't mean I was happy about it.

Taking this on also meant I'd have to take Hyunjin with me on my rides to watch Seungmin and learn about who he was still seeing (i.e. how often he saw Jeongin). Either I'd find out how much better it is to have a partner there to distract from the boredom of watching Seungmin play video games for hours, or Hyunjin would have more panic attacks at the sight of him...I really hoped that wouldn't happen.

I pulled out my laptop and set it up for my meeting. Unlike the desks and offices the Seo's used, my office looked like an Ikea showroom. It was purposeful but plain.

I heard a few taps on the door, and I threw my shirt over my head. Seungmin had complimented my abs more than once, and it wasn't unusual for me to be shirtless in my office. Sexualizing myself to gain information was nothing new.

The door opened ever so slightly right as I sat down again and Seungmin peaked his head in. "You ready for me?" he asked, and I waved a hand to welcome him in with a smile.

And so it began.

I started off pretty typical. I asked about his progress. He apparently had found and exterminated the rest of the men. I complimented him on his efforts, and he smiled boyishly. He always liked being praised for his work. He turned in his evidence for a job completed and sat in silence as I added everything to our digital log.

As I did so, I thought back to the day I had assigned him the case. Felix had come in to see Mrs. Seo and told her about Lee Know and Han being held captive. He told us about Seungmin double-crossing them. I wasn't completely surprised. I was pretty sure he'd done the same thing to Lee Know all those years ago when the Hwangs first caught and burned him.

But Mr. Seo liked him. So we pretended like he did nothing wrong, and I assigned him whatever useless case we had at the time. But exterminating Han's alley attackers wasn't useless...I assigned it to him maliciously. I wanted it to affect his relationship with Jeongin to be the killer of his men. Part of me just wanted to come out and ask him about whether my plan had worked or not, but I knew that wasn't smart.