Chapter 81

Lee Know POV

Lee Know POV

Chills ran up my spine as I stared ahead at the dark nothingness.

"Jeongin?" I whispered. My body tensed, and I felt a panic attack coming on. I felt like I was back in the bunker. My eyes hadn't adjusted to the dark here, though, and I couldn't hear footsteps or even breathing over the sound of my own heart pounding in my ears.

I reached out in front of me and felt nothing.

"Jeongin?" I said again. There was no response.

I kicked my foot around on the ground to find the duffle bag so I could at least make sure he didn't have more guns on hand than me. I had my usual one in my back pocket and reached for it.

He must have been able to see me because he flicked the light on right as I pulled it out.

"Let's talk," he said. His tone was just as egotistical and controlling as it had been when I was tied up.

With the light on, I could see him clearly, and I was surprised as my eyes scanned his body.

My first thought was that Hyunjin might be right. We might be able to sway him to our side.

My second thought, which shocked me, was that I felt pity for him. I felt empathy for a monster.

He had just as many burn scars as Han and I but he also had bruises everywhere that I could see. Most severe, though, were the ones around his neck. It didn't go all the way around in one circle like he'd been locked up, either. No, it had individual finger marks where he'd been strangled.

His own parents had strangled him. I wondered if his mom was in on it, too, or if this was his father's work.

"I'm sorry," I slipped and told him impulsively. The bruises and markings all over his body were just so unbelievably horrific that I couldn't think of anything else.

He let out a loud laugh that turned into anger. "I don't need your pity."

I realized that I didn't want to give it to him. This person still tortured my friends and me. He was still trying to kill my partner. I wanted him angry, so I had an excuse to hurt him, too.

"I think you do. I've seen a lot of fucked up parents in my career but being strangled by your own father is a new low. You must have really embarrassed him."

Jeongin crossed the room and slapped me.

He pulled his gun out and held it to my temple.