Chapter 10

My father handed me a can of coke while he sat down on the sofa across from me, a hot coffee in his hands.

"Lucille what's wrong?"

I thought I'd be easy but now that the time had come I found myself choking on the words.

"Did you steal me?" I whispered.

His eyes widened and his mouth formed an O. I knew his answer before he even spoke.

"Yes"

"Why?"

He sighed. His eyes became glossy with tears. I had to hide my shock at seeing him in such a vulnerable state.

"Your mother had twins" he said. "Two beautiful girls named Eleanor and Lucy"

I closed my eyes tight and took a deep breath. I could sense where this was going.

"We went on a small holiday. To a cabin a few towns over. Hunters found us. They attacked us and we attacked them back in self defence. We thought we had them all but one got Lucy and killed her. Then we killed them"

I kept my face as straight and emotionless as possible. I didn't want to give him the thought that this story could excuse him"

"Your mother was heartbroken. Our pack took revenge. We found one of the hunter's houses and attacked them. When we couldn't win we took thier child so they could feel our pain"

Numbness was flowing through me and I didn't know how to take it.

"We were supposed to kill you but your mother wouldn't allow it. She said we would be just like them. She opted to raise you and the pack agreed"

I could feel bubbly hot anger coursing through my veins, I couldn't help myself as I spoke.

"So the purpose of keeping me alive was to serve as some creepy memorial for your dead daughter!" I spat.

My father eyes flared in anger and hurt. Part of me was scared that I had angered him but part of me was angry that I had been used.

"No of course not" my father snorted.

"Yeah well it seems that way to me"

"You are as good as my daughter" he snapped.

"You stole me!" I screeched. "You named me after your daughter and then you turned me to give further insult"

My father went quiet. I knew in that second I was right. And he did too.

I buried my face in my hands but didn't cry. I was some sick messed up pawn in this horrific game. I felt alone. The word orphan popped into my mind and it seemed to fit. I had no parents. The ones I thought were mine had only used me for thier own selfish gain yet the ones I belonged to didn't feel like my parents. I had been robbed of my life and now I felt strangely empty.

My whole life was a lie.

Then Alex stormed in and things became crystal clear.........