Chapter 14

➳༻❀✿❀༺🦋༻❀✿❀༺➳

Anne stele

"Could you go straight to the point, I have a business to run," I growled at Maryann, she had some nerve showing up at my workplace.

"Nice." she skimmed her eyes around the store like she was in search of something to gossip about.

" she skimmed her eyes around the store like she was in search of something to gossip about

"You've done well for yourself." She smirked.

"Why are you here?" I said, avoiding the sarcasm. After the wedding, I planned to move as far away from possible from George'sfamily. "Why are you here?"

She pulled down her handbag and got out an envelope.

"And, what's that?" I asked.

"Here, take a look." She extended the envelope to me. I took and opened it, the whole wondering what she was up to, I gave her a questioning look,

"what's this?"

"It's a cheque.."

I rolled my eyes,

"Yeah, I know what it means. Why are you giving it to me?"

"Once you have our grandchild, you can take the money and start a new life. It's a lot of money and I'm sure someone like you would make a smart decision."

"Is this some sort of joke?"

"'If you want more money, I can arrange it."

"Oh, I'm going to sue you for this." I hurled out, "You have no right to do this..."

"I'm sure a judge would agree that a drug addict can't raise our grandchild."

"I have been clean for years and you know it, I have records to prove it." There was a time in my life when I made bad decisions and drugs were my only solace, but things changed after I met and fell in love with George.

"You're not even Australian, you think anyone would believe you over me." She picked up her bag to leave, "I will take my leave now, tell my son to stop by sometime, would you? And, think about what I said?"

She left,

I stood there looking at the cheque. I had to do something, these people were trying to take my baby from me and they had all the resources to do it.

My phone buzzed at that exact moment, I wiped my tears and answered it,

"Hello." My voice was groggy.

"Miss stele?"

He cleared my throat, "Y-Yes, who am I speaking with it?"

"I'm calling from the memorial hospital, there has been an accident." My whole body became alert,

"What?" I panicked,

"Ms. stele no one got hurt," She said sharply.

"Then, what happened?" I demanded.

"Can you make it down here, the patient said you're his fiancée."

"George!" I exclaimed, "I'm on my way." I hung up. How was I able to take it all in without having a meltdown, was beyond me.

🥒➳༻❀✿❀༺➳🥒

I ran into the hospital like a crazy lady and approached the receptionist at the front desk,

"I'm here for George stone."

She typed something into the system,

"You are?"

Anne style, his fiancée." I answered,

She typed something on the system before muttering, "Room 105, upstairs."

I nodded and found my way to the elevator to George's floor, I stood there praying he was okay and as soon as the door opened, I rushed out and found my way to George's room.

"George!" I rushed to his bedside, "What happened?" He had bruises all over.

"You should let him rest." A voice waved in.

I looked from George and noticed David standing at the corner, I was so worried about George, that I didn't even notice David was in the room,

"What happened to him?" I asked David,

He eyed George swiftly.

"It was an accident..." David replied. I could tell he was lying, "I was driving and got distracted. I apologize."

"You don't look hurt to me." I said, "And, those look like burns on George's body. It's like he walked into a fire."

"Let it be Anne

"Let it be Anne." George cut in, "I'm alright and David has nothing to do with this." They were definitely hiding something, when they start to defend each other like that, you would know it's big, "Have you had anything to eat?" he asked, changing the subject.

I sighed, "George, I should be the one asking that, but yes, I'm okay."

"And, the baby?" he touched and felt my bump.

"She's fine," I cracked a smile.

George reached and caressed my cheeks softly,

David excused himself and gave us the space to talk.

"You look like you've been crying?"

I shook my head, "I'm fine?" I lied, I didn't want to worsen his health, if he found out what his parents were up to, he would be furious.

"I can also tell when you are lying?" he frowned.

"I was worried about you that's all..." I cracked a smile for him, "I was so scared when they called and told me you were in an accident--"

"It's okay... I'm alright." He pulled me closer to his chest, "Everything is going to be okay now. I told you I would handle it." he whispered in my ear. I didn't understand what he meant until much later and it was the beginning of everything wrong with our lives.