92

Alison

"You apologize to her right now." James gritted, tightening his grip on my arm, "That's my mother you're talking to, Apologize."

"Get your hands off me." I yanked my arm and almost lost my balance.

Anne hauled in immediately and caught me.

"That's enough, James!"

"I won't tolerate anyone talking to you like that--"

"I said that's enough!" She warned him threatfully, "Please leave."

He glared at me and muttered curses under his breath before storming out of the door.

As soon as he left, I felt my knees going weak as I struggled to stay on my feet, My vision went blurry for a millisecond and I felt like I was about to collapse,

"Alison..." Anne held me to a chair, "Be careful." She whispered as I slowly settled on it, "Do you need anything?" she seemed concerned.

"Water," I mumbled.

"Okay..." She left to get it,

I began doing breathing exercises to calm myself.

"Do you feel any better.." Anne appeared again with a glass of water, "Here, have some water."

I took it from her and drank it all in one gulp and soon after regained a little strength,

"Do you need anything else?" She asked again with a lot of distress emanating from her voice.

I shook my head and sucked in a deep breath, continuing to relax my nerves,

"You're pregnant?" She questioned, it sounded more like a statement,

I nodded anyway,

"Is it David's?" She asked, but something about the way she said just made me want to snap.

"Who else?"

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't know." She seemed to have gone cold after that, but her thoughts were as loud as a horn. I didn't care.

I took my eyes to the pictures on the wall. They were mostly of James and a few of her smiling so motherly at him,

I took my eyes to the others, and there was not a single one of me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous or hurt by them, especially to see how happy they looked without me.

"Alison, I know...." She started but halted for a bit, "I'm a terrible mother and nothing could even cover up for what I did, but you have to understand that whatever I did...I did it to protect you and James."

I huffed,

"Don't I at least deserve a better excuse?"

She sobbed silently moving to the other side of the room, I instantly felt regretful but the pain was greater than the guilt.

"You said you were trying to protect us, protect us from what?"

She took a seat next to me and went quiet for a while, possibly cooking up more lies to feed me, she took a lot of time before speaking.

I was willing to wait, I had spent 18 years without the truth, and a few more minutes wouldn't hurt anyone.

"Before Jenna." She started finally, "Came into our lives your father and I were struggling, mostly with protecting you and the company..."

"I know all that already." I cut her short, I heard enough of that story, "Just go straight to the point.."

Tears began to form in her eyes and I immediately felt a pang in my heart, it hurt me even more that I couldn't even feign hate for her,

"I found out your father was having an affair with Jenna." She started, her voice soft and cautious,

She took a deep breath and softly tapped her fingers under her eyes capturing the tears that were already clouding up,

She went on and at the end, I gasped in shock,

"Jenna killed father?"

She nodded,

"David didn't tell you....I'm so sorry."

I felt bleak, my father wasn't exactly the best husband, I admit that, but he was a good father and didn't deserve to die the way he did, no one deserves such a cruel death.

Tears fell down my cheeks and wiped them, then motioned for her to finish.

"I was afraid Jenna would come after James, so I left." She muttered cowardly, "Alison, I swear...I never planned to leave you behind, but I didn't want to give you that life."

I scoffed,

"You're unbelievable...Honestly, you should be honored an award for the mother of the century, you are despicable, to think you left me to die and saved your other child."

"That's not true."

"You didn't think I would be in danger when you left me with the mastermind's brother, the same woman who killed my father, and you just left me there without telling anyone," I yelled.

"I'm sorry.."

"No, you're not and I'm done listening. You have no reason."

"Please, forgive me." She pleaded and kneeled in front of me in tears as I threatened to leave.

"Get up!"

I felt a pang in my heart as I stared down at her, this woman left me to die to save my brother, why couldn't I hate her? I couldn't even pretend to hate her...it was annoying.

"Please, get up."

"I-I'm so sorry." She wiped her tears and quickly got up.

All I felt was pain and heartache.

I took some moments of silence to pull my sanity together and stood up from the chair, ready to leave.

"David insisted I gave you the benefit of the doubt because that's just who he is, but I think I've heard enough. Hopefully, someday I'd be able to forgive but not today, and not any time soon."

"Will you stop by again?"

"I don't know, this is too much for me to take in all at once."

She nodded,

"I understand, take as much time as you need."

I turned to leave, but halfway to the door, I turned to her again, saying.

"I'm glad you're alive."

She gave me a warm smile, one that almost had me running into her arms,

"Bye," I mumbled and with that I walked out the door, feeling half-satisfied.

___

Hopefully,2-3 more chapters to go now.

Don't forget to vote and comment.❤️

Much love
Dera