56

Alison

I woke up in the middle of the night, and with one exquisite sore that indicated that I was no longer a virgin, I grinned at the thought.

Then slowly, I noticed that David was not with me. Where was he? I rubbed my face. What time is it? Where's David?

The alarm said it was two in the morning.
Climbing groggily out of bed, I grabbed the sheet, using it to cover myself as I stood up, but stopped when I felt sharp pains between my legs.

I managed to stand, and then grabbing onto one of his shirts, I wore it on and set off to hunt him down; knowing David, he probably sneaked out to get some work done.

The main room was empty. But his study door was ajar,

  I knocked tentatively on the door.

"David?" I called and made my way in. He was seated at his desk with a glass of scotch in his hand. My heart constricted.

This can't be good, I thought.

"David?"

He glanced up, his expression ferocious; it softened immediately after he saw me. His eyes became wide and conscious. However, he looked tired and edgy.

His eyes swept down my legs and back again. I was wearing one of his T-shirts.

"Can you be any more perfect," he breathed. "Even even in my T-shirt, you look beautiful."

I chuckled, "How drunk are you?"

He took my hand and pulled me forward, so I straddled his lap; his eyes were glowing and full of promise . .. but there was a trace of sadness to them. He stared at me without touching me.

I reached and ran my hand through his silky hair, and he smiled feebly,

"What's wrong?" I asked, "Did something happen at the office?" He stared at me with those beautiful eyes for a while before reaching into his desk.

He pulled out an envelope and showed it to me.

My eyes gaped, realizing what it was,

It was a letter from MIU.

"They must have dropped it off in the morning." I quickly tore open the mail; please let it be a rejection, I prayed.

I got in!

"I'm so proud of you."

"I'm not going." I let out almost immediately,

He stared at me like I had just said I murdered someone,

"What?"

"There are a lot of great colleges here in Sydney." I got up and walked around his desk.

"Why would you want to throw away such a great opportunity?" he paused as the realization hit him hard in the face, "Because of me?"

I twisted my lips and looked away from him,

"If your answer is yes, Ali, then we have a huge problem on our hands." he yelled at me, "It means I'm holding you back."