31

It was a Saturday, and David was out of town, I took the liberty to meet up with Dylan. I had promised I'd escort him to meet his aunt.

I didn't want the boys hovering around, so I snuck out through the back.

We got to meet Dylan's Aunt, she was really nice and made the most delicious honey biscuits. "It was so nice to meet you, Ali. You two be safe, and Dylan you're welcome any time."

They hug and we left.

We stopped by the diner to study for my test, I had a lot to learn and Dylan had so much to teach me.

We studied for a while....

I barely even noticed how late it was until I looked out of the window.

"We should go." I gathered my things and Dylan got up to help me,

"Thanks for today," Dylan said as we walked towards the door,

"You're welcome." I grinned and then reached to pull out my phone to check for messages when abruptly I was grabbed by the arm and pulled back into the dinner.

"Sam?"

"Stay there," He hissed, drawing out a walkie.

"What's going on?"

  "Everyone out!" Sam managed to get everyone out of the dinner safely, it was just the three of us inside.

I cowered behind Dylan.

"Code Blue!" Sam yelled to a walkie. I watched his hand reach back into his wristband where his black gun sat, "Code blue!"

What's Code Blue? I had no idea what was going on and neither did Dylan.

"You two behind the counter now!" He gritted at us. Dylan and I quickly threw ourselves at the far end of the counter,

I curled my body into a ball and placed my hands over my ears, just as the loud ricochet of bullets echoed through the walls.

I screamed.

"Ali, look at me." Dylan got to my side and held my face and made me look at him, he wanted to comfort me, he looked so thoughtful, despite his eminent fear.

It was wicked of me but I suddenly I didn't want him here, I wanted David. I felt homesick—homesick for David, so much so that I could choke back the sobs that broke loose. I wished fervently that he was with me.

He'd know what to do. I'd just crawl onto his lap, and have him hold me, even though I was stubborn and didn't do as I was told.

The commotion lasted only a few seconds, but it felt like hours and then everything just stopped. Dylan signaled me to wait, he went out to check before coming to get me.

Sam returned to my side with a harsh breath.

"What the hell is going on?" No one would say anything and my adrenaline was spiking through my body, 

Moments later, the car appeared in front of the diner in a rush, Sam did a quick check first, "Come on." He shielded me and quickly ushered me into the car, leaving Dylan behind, he looked as confused as I was.

The boys got into the car and drove off.

"What the hell was that?" My voice was barely a whisper.

"Someone in a white van has been trailing you, waiting for you to step out of the dinner alone. ...You put yourself in a lot of danger today, Ms. Stone."