Chapter 02: The Road to War

In Vienna, the Government of the Austro-Hungarian Empire holds Serbia responsible for the assassination of the Hapsburg heir, Archduke Franz Ferdinand, and his wife, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg. Three days after the assassination, the July Crisis begins.

On the fifth day of July 1914, the emperor of Austria and king of Hungary, Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, seeks support from Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany for a war against Serbia in case of Russia's mobilization.

Eighteen days later on the twenty-third day of July 1914, the Austro-Hungarian empire sends an ultimatum to Serbia. Vienna is demanding Serbia for plotting against the Hapsburg monarchy; participating in the Serbian inquiry which holds responsibility for the assassination; terminating patriotic organizations that creates a hostile to the empire; and creating a "dangerous propaganda" against the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They gave forty-eight hours to reply, but Serbia's reply is evasive.

Five days later on the twenty-eighth day of July 1914, the Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war on Serbia. They launch an invasion at Belgrade, northern part of Serbia. Russia, giving it's alliance with Serbia, mobilizes and sends troops to the Austro-Hungarian border.

On thirtieth day of July 1914, Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, giving it's alliance with Austria, sends an ultimatum to his cousin, Czar Nicholas II of Russia, ordering to withdraw his troops from the Austrian border. Few hours later, Kaiser Wilhelm II, not having receive the respond to his ultimatum to Czar Nicholas II, hesitates. He decides to be a pacifist in order to have peace in Germany, but military leaders and industrialists urge him to declare war, blaming Russia for expanding the conflict.

On the first day of August 1914, Germany mobilizes and declares war on Russia. France, ally of Russia, mobilizes. The Ottoman Empire signs a secret alliance treaty with Germany.

On the second day of August 1914, Germany invades Luxembourg.

On the third day of August 1914, Germany declares war on France. Belgium denies permission for German troops to pass through the French border. In Africa, Eight countries in French West Africa and four countries in Equatorial Africa enters the war against Germany and it's African colonies. In Asia, Vietnam, part of French Indochina, enters the war against Germany and it's allies.

On the fourth day of August 1914, Germany launches an invasion at Belgium to outflank the French forces. On that day, the United Kingdom declares war on Germany. In North America, Canada, under British rule, enters the war against Germany and it's allies. In Oceania, New Zealand, under British Empire, enter the war against the German Empire and it's allies. New Guinea, under German rule, enters the war against the British Empire and it's allies. In Africa, thirteen countries under British rule enters the war against Germany and it's colonies. In Asia, the British-Indian Empire and British other colonies enter the war against Germany and it's allies. Nicholas II's cousin, King George V, held a council on that day to declare war on Germany.

On the fifth day of August 1914, Montenegro declares war on Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On the sixth day of August 1914, Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war on Russia. Serbia declares war on Germany.

On the eighth day of August 1914, Montenegro declares war on Germany.

On the eleventh day of August 1914, France declares war on Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On the twelfth day of August 1914, the United Kingdom declares war on Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On the fifteenth day of August 1914, Australia, under British Empire, mobilizes and enters the war against Germany and it's allies. On that day, the whole Oceania is at war.

On the twenty-third day of August 1914, Japan declares war on Germany.

On the the twenty-fifth day of August 1914, Japan declares on Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On the twenty-eighth day of August 1914, the Austro-Hungarian Empire declares war on Belgium. By the end of August and the start of September, the whole Europe is at war.

On October 1914, Angola, under Portuguese rule, clashes German troops on the border of German South West Africa.

On the twenty-ninth day of October 1914, the Ottoman Empire, ally of Germany, launches a surprise invasion on the Russian Black Sea coast. This event will lead the Allies a declaration of war against the Ottoman Empire.

On the first day of November 1914, Russia declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

On the second day of November 1914, Serbia declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

On the third day of November 1914, Montenegro declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

On the fifth day of November 1914, France and the United Kingdom declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

On the eleventh day of November 1914, Mehmed V, sultan of the Ottoman Empire, declared war on France, Russia, and the United Kingdom.

On the fourth day of February 1915, Germany begins an unrestricted submarine warfare against Allied merchant or commercial vessels.

On the seventh day of May 1915, U-20, captained by Lieutenant Walther Schwieger, sinks a British liner, Lusitania, with the loss of 1198 lives including 128 Americans.

On the twenty-third day of May 1915, Italy declares war on the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

On the twenty-first day of August 1915, Italy declares war on the Ottoman Empire.

On the first day of September 1915, Germany suspends unrestricted submarine warfare against Allied merchant or commercial vessels.

On the fourteenth day of October 1915, Bulgaria declares war on Serbia and launches an invasion, together with Germany, Austro-Hungarian Empire, and Ottoman Empire, against Serbia. This event leads the Allies a declaration of war against Bulgaria.

On the fifteenth day of October 1915, Montenegro and the United Kingdom declares war on Bulgaria.

On the sixteenth day of October 1915, France declares war on Bulgaria.

On the nineteenth day of October 1915, Russia and Italy declare war on Bulgaria. Meanwhile, Portugal remains a neutral country.

In Portugal, it's country remains neutral for a year and a half after the outbreak of the great war. However, during the German campaign in Portuguese Angola in Africa, the Government of Portugal wants to comply with the request of the British to aid and to protect its colonies in Africa. This results of a confrontation of the German forces to the southern part of Portuguese Angola. On the first day of March 1916, when the Germans learned that Portugal supplies England, they take action against Portugal by resuming the unrestricted submarine warfare.

On the ninth day of March 1916, Germany declares war on Portugal. Mozambique and Angola, under Portuguese rule, enter the war against Germany and it's African colonies. On that same day, the whole Africa is at war.

On the fifteenth day of March 1916, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, ally of Germany, declares war on Portugal.