Chapter 24: The Prying

June 13, 1917, 5 pm

Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

The secret of the "Lady from Heaven" spread throughout the town of Fatima. Everyone try to do everything to pry the secret out of Jacinta. Meanwhile, Ti Marto walks on his way home after buying stuff in a nearby market. One day, he sees a group ladies trying to pry the secret of the "Lady from Heaven" out of his daughter, Jacinta. 

"Jacinta, do you like my gold chain and bracelet?" one of the ladies asked Jacinta in order to pry the secret out of her.

"They look beautiful, I like them," Jacinta admitted as she stare at the lady's gold chain and bracelet. 

"Jacinta, would you like to have them?" the lady asked Jacinta.

"Yes, I do like them," Jacinta replied.

"You will have my gold chain and bracelet unless you us the secret that the 'Lady' from Heaven told you," the lady requested as she pretends to take off their valuable. The ladies secretly pretend to give what Jacinta desires in order to pry the secret out, but Jacinta becomes worried and refuses to tell the secret.

"Take them away, dear lady! I won't tell anything about the secret even if you gave me the whole world," Jacinta refused as she won't fall into temptation. 

"Fine then, but you will never had our gold chain and bracelet," the lady replied as the group of ladies leave Jacinta alone.

"It's a good thing that Jacinta refused to accept those offer because I have a feeling they won't give their valuables. A secret is always a secret and has to be kept for obeying the 'Lady's' request," Ti Marto thought in mind as he leaves his hideout and continues his way back home.

"Damn it, our plan failed and that crazy brat won't tell us her secret," the lady thought it in mind. 

5:20 pm

The simple plan formed by a group of ladies who tried to pry the secret out of Jacinta failed. They didn't expect that the plan would fail. As one hour passed, when Jacinta walks on her way back home, she meets a Portuguese woman, Maria das Neves and her niece who live around the town of Fatima.

"Jacinta, can I talk to you alone together with my niece? There's something I need to ask you about regarding the apparition that occurred yesterday afternoon," Maria das Neves asked Jacinta.

"Hmm...okay then," Jacinta agreed as she nods yes. After that, they walk to a private place where they couldn't be seen or hear by other people who are trying to pry the three shepherd children's secret. 

"Look here, Jacinta," Maria das Neves said as she points at the chain of golden beads which it was worn around her niece's neck. "Tell me the 'Lady's' secret and I will give you this chain of golden beads."

"If you give me that lovely medal, hanging around your niece's neck, I will tell Her secret," Jacinta playfully answered as she looks at the woman's niece, wearing a chain of golden beads.

"Oh, but I couldn't give you that one because it's hers," Maria das Neves said. "I will buy another one for you if you tell me Her secret."

"No need to buy another one, Aunt Maria," Maria's niece said as take off her chain of golden beads around her neck. "Here, I will give this medal to you."

"I'm sorry about that, Senhora Maria das Neves," Jacinta apologized with a smile on her face.

"Huh? What? Why?" Maria da Neves wondered why Jacinta apologized.

'I'm just kidding around, Senhora. I don't want it. I wouldn't tell the secret for the whole world," Jacinta replied.

"Fine then, but you won't have this medal, Jacinta, unless you tell us the 'Lady's' secret," Maria das Neves said. "I'm sure that you'll regret it someday."

"I won't regret it, Senhora Maria das Neves. Around twenty minutes ago, there were a group of ladies who were trying to pry my secret but I refuse to accept their offer as I refuse to tell it. This secret I have is the request of the 'Lady' from Heaven that I couldn't tell anyone. From Her request, I should obey and fall myself into temptation," Jacinta replied. After that, Maria das Neves and her niece leave Jacinta alone in a private place.

"Damn it, I couldn't believe my failed, but someday, I would learn the three shepherd children's secret," Maria das Neves thought in mind.