Chapter 28: Exchange with Force

June 30, 1917, 10:22 am

Athens, Greece

The king of Greece, Constantine I, educated in Germany and married to Sophia of Prussia, sister of Kaiser Wilhelm II, was naturally commiserative to the Germans when the First World War broke out last July 28, 1914 when the Austro-Hungarians declared war on Serbia which on the same day, they invaded Belgrade, northern part of Serbia. During the Great War between 1914 to 1917, King Constantine I remained and maintained his country neutral for three years despite from his own pro-Allied government, including the Prime Minister of Greece, Eleftherios Kyriakou Venizelos.

Around in the late 1914, King Constantine I allows the British and French government to sent and disembark their troops in Salonika in order to plan to aid Serbia against the Austro-Hungarian, German, Turkish, and Bulgarian forces. Not only that, the motivation of the Entente or Allies is to bring Greece into the war on their side. However, around October 1915, King Constantine I had his prime minister, Eleftherios Venizelos exiled to Crete.

A few months later in the late 1915, the Central Power forces successfully occupied Serbia and the Allied operations in Salonika were bogged down. King Constantine I was even less inclined to support the Allies, believing Germany and other of the Central Powers would win or become victorious in the war. 

A few months later around 1916, King Constantine I sent help from the German government after he was threatened that a civil war will occur in Greece. However, his letter wasn't received by the German government. In 1917, the Allies lost their patience with the King of Greece as they sent an ultimatum demanding his abdication from the throne. On June 10, 1917, Charles Jonnart, the Entente's High Commissioner in Greece ordered King Constantine I to give up his power and throne. Finally on June 11, 1917, King Constantine I abdicated from the throne which on the same day, the British forces blockaded Greece and the French forces landed at Piraeus, on Isthmus of Corinth. 

The next day, Constantine I abdicated in favor of his second son, Alexander of Greece. As Alexander became king of Greece, he reinstated Eleftherios Venizelos' position.

After King Constantine I abdicated from his throne, on June 30, 1917, before the Prime Minister of Greece, Eleftherios Venizelos, signs the declaration of war against the Central Powers which are the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Germany, Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria, he begins to flashback about their disagreements with King Constantine I. 

(flashback)

He remembers that during and after the outbreak of the First World War, King Constantine I had disagreements with Eleftherios Venizelos regarding of bringing Greece into the war.

"Your Grace, we must bring our country to join the Allies against the Central Powers," Eleftherios Venizelos convinced the king.

"No, I can't, we must remain our country neutral no matter the cost," King Constantine I refused.

"One to three years ago during the Balkan Wars, Serbia was our ally on those days," Eleftherios Venizelos continually convinced. "Now, the Austro-Hungarians and Germany declared war against Serbia, we must support the Allies."

"I can't and it's decided," King Constantine I disagreed. "I want my country to stay out of this terrible catastrophe." 

(end flashback)

"Sir? Wake up, are you alright?" the officer asked as he tries to wake the prime minister's daydream.

"Oh, yes, hahaha....I'm sorry about that, I just remember something," Eleftherios Venizelos said as he signs the declaration of war against the Central Powers in order to support the Allies in the war.

On June 30, 1917, Greece declares war on the Central Powers as they sent troops in the Macedonian Front in Salonika.