Chapter 08: The Revolution

March 8, 1917

Petrograd, Russia

The Empire of Russia is one of the earliest Allied empires that entered the war against the Central Powers. On July 28, 1914 the Russians mobilized and sent troops to the border of Austro-Hungarian Empire after they declare war against Serbia. As a result, Germany, ally of the Austria-Hungary, declare war against Russia.

The Russian army was formed by forcing working class and a group of peasants to join the war in the Eastern Front. Since the Russian army is huge, many soldiers were not equipped or trained to fight in war. Many of the soldiers were sent into battle without food and water, shoes, even weapons. As a result, Germany occupies three hundred and ten thousand square miles of the Russian Empire. Two million soldiers were dead and five million soldiers were wounded. The Russians blamed Czar Nicholas II for entering the war against Germany and getting many young men killed in battle.

On March 8, 1917, in the city of Petrograd, the Russians including a number of workers start the revolution against the Czar. Alexander Kerensky and Pavel Milyukov are the one of the most prominent leaders of the February revolution. 

"Long Live the Republic!" one of the Russian workers shouted. During the beginning of the February revolution, many of the Russian workers meet to discuss politics and a new form of government. 

March 8, 1917

March 8, 1917

Winter Palace, Petrograd, Russia

Many Russians including a number of workers are trying to get rid of Czar by revolting against him. When Czar Nicholas II learns about the riot occurred, he orders to suppress the riot. 

"Sir, we've learned a group of Russians began to start a riot in the city of Petragrad. They are revolting against you," one of the Russian officials reported to the Czar. 

"Then, I want you to send soldiers to the city. Stop and kill those insolent rebels," Czar Nicholas II of Russia ordered. However, many soldiers refused to fire and kill all of the Russian civilians including workers who revolted against the Czar. So, many soldiers join the civilians against Czar.

March 16, 1917

Winter Palace, Petrograd, Russia

After a few days of riot, on March 16, 1917, the Russians including civilians, soldiers, and workers turned against the Czar. As a result, Czar Nicholas II abdicates and a new form of government take over. The government runs by two political parties which are the Petrograd Soviet and the Provisional Government. The Petrograd Soviet represents the workers and soldiers while the Provisional Government is a traditional government without the Czar.