Chapter 54: The Curiosity

September 11, 1917, 12 noon

Cova da Iria, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

More than a thousands of people wait  for the Lady's fifth apparition. Before that, there are still people who felt curious about the apparition as well as the three shepherd children's testimony. One of them is Monsignor John Quaresma, a man of great learning. When he heard the apparitions in Fatima, he has many questions in his mind as he didn't know whether to believe the testimony of the three shepherd children or not. 

One day before the Lady's fifth apparition, while working and sitting in his office, he continues thinking about the apparitions of the Lady from Heaven and the testimonies of the three shepherd children. 

"Is it really true that the Lady from Heaven appeared to them? After the Magistrate kidnapped the seers and returned them to Fatima, it seemed that they weren't traumatized as if they have still faith or fidelity to this Lady," Monsignor John Quaresma thought in mind as he asks himself. "Have the little seers been the victims of a beautiful mirage? Was there any truth in the testimonies of the children?"

"What are you thinking, Monsignor?" Father Manuel do Carmo Gois asked Monsignor John Quaresma as he notices him thinking about something.

"I'm just thinking about these apparitions. I don't know if they're true or not," Monsignor John Quaresma replied. 

"We cannot conclude our beliefs whether the apparition is either true or not. Why don't we go to the Cova da Iria on the thirteenth day of September? We cannot also tell that these apparitions are fakes because we don't have any circumstantial evidence plus the public might as well turn against us," Father Manuel do Carmo Gois suggested. 

"Going to the Cova da Iria on the thirteenth day of September?" Monsignor John Quaresma asked Fr. Manuel do Carmo Gois.

"Yes, Monsignor. I've heard that this Lady only appears to the three shepherd children but we may found or discover some signs that She indeed appear to them," Fr. Manuel do Carmo Gois replied.

"Hmm...," Monsignor John Quaresma thought in mind as he tries to think of a decision.

"I've heard this leftist politician, José do Vale, who came to Fatima before the Lady's fourth apparition. He tried to convince the people that the apparitions were just a hoax even he didn't have any some kind of proof to back it up," Fr. Manuel do Carmo Gois said.

"Hmm... good idea. Let's go to the Cova da Iria to see if this apparitions are whether real or not in order to answer all of my questions I have in mind," Monsignor John Quaresma agreed to his suggestion. On the morning of the thirteenth day of September 1917, Monsignor John Quaresma and Fr. Manuel do Carmo Gois ride in a carriage drawn by an old horse and quickly go to the place where the apparitions of the Lady from Heaven take place.