Chapter 44: The Bribing

August 14, 1917, 9 am

The Magistrate's Office, County House, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

The three shepherd children spent the whole day and night in suffering, loneliness, and prayer, asking the Lady from Heaven to strengthen their faith in order to remain faithful to Her always. The next day, China declared war on Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. On that same day, when morning arrived, the Magistrate took the three shepherd children to the County House for interrogation. 

In the Magistrate's Office, Artur Oliveira Santos tries some bribes in order to pry the secret out of them. He brings out the old lady to pry out their secret. She uses all of her cunning, wiles, and other tricks to learn and pry their secret. However, the three shepherd children keeps silent about it. 

"Senhora, that's enough. It seems that all your strategies or tactics won't work," Artur said. "Thank you for the work." 

"You're welcome, Senhor Artur. Have a good day," the old lady replied as she leaves the Magistrate's office. After that, the Magistrate tries another bribe, strategy, or plan to pry out their secret. He brings out a small number of shiny gold coins from his pocket. 

"Here, do you see these shiny gold coins in my hand?" Artur asked the three shepherd children.

"Yes, we do, Senhor Artur," Lucia replied.

"I want you three to see these. Does it look beautiful?" Artur asked the three shepherd children as he shows them the shiny gold coins.

"Yes, they do, Senhor," Lucia replied. "What were you going to do with them, Senhor?"

"The Magistrate is like the other Portuguese people who were desperate on finding out the Lady's secret," Jacinta thought in mind. "Whatever questions regarding the Lady's secret, I'll keep or remain silent about it." 

"You know what? Many Portuguese children doesn't have these shiny gold coins in their personal possessions," Artur said as he tries to tempt them. "I will give all of these shiny gold coins if you are willing to tell me the secret. If you won't tell me the secret, you won't have these gold coins." 

"Those shiny gold coins are nice and beautiful, Senhor Artur. But, I won't accept that offer and I won't tell Her secret to you," Lucia refused.

"I'm sorry, Senhor Artur, but I won't accept that offer," Francisco refused.

"I agree with my cousin and my brother as well. Whatever you'll give us in order to find out Her secret, I won't accept it," Jacinta refused. "We follow the Lady's request. Give those shiny gold coins to the poor instead."

"This children really won't give in. However, I'll continue suborning or bribing them until they give up," Artur thought in mind. After that, the Magistrate cruelly keeps bribing them and threatening them with every sort of punishment the whole morning. 

12 noon 

In the Magistrate's office, the Magistrate, Artur Oliveira Santos, cruelly keeps bribing them and threatening them until afternoon without eating or drinking. Even the three shepherd children feel hungry and thirsty, they endure their suffering . 

"It's already twelve noon, I'm going to eat my lunch now. When I come back to this office, I'll continue working on my problems with you three. I won't stop until you tell me the secret" the Magistrate said as he leaves his office quietly. Before he leaves his office, he instructs a security guard to watch over them.

"I want you guard them in my office. Make sure nobody enters or exits my office without my authorization. Also, make sure you watch over those children so they won't escape," the Magistrate instructed the security guard.

"Yes, Senhor Artur," the security guard obeyed. After the Magistrate ate his lunch, he goes back to his office, and continues bribing them and threatening them all afternoon.

6:00 pm

In the Magistrate's office, the Magistrate, Artur Oliveira Santos, cruelly keeps bribing them and threatening them until evening. When it reaches six o'clock, the Magistrate finally gives up bribing them. However, he threateningly tells them their verdict. 

"Since you won't tell me the Lady's secret, I'll have you imprison and sooner or later, I'll have the executioners to throw you three into a tank of boiling oil," the Magistrate said as the three shepherd children become shock. After that, the Magistrate and the security guards bring the three shepherd children to a nearby prison.