Chapter 41: Keep it Silent

August 13, 1917, 11 am

Marto Residence, Aljustrel, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

Ti Marto had a hunch that there's something wrong about this. He feels that the Magistrate had a plan against the three shepherd children which are Lucia, Francisco, and Jacinta. When the three shepherd children reached Marto's residence, the Magistrate begins urging them to ride in his carriage. 

"Your relative, Ti Marto, is waiting for the three of you inside the carriage; you must ride in my carriage," Artur urged the three shepherd.

"Thanks for the ride, but riding in the carriage won't be necessary, my cousins and I will walk to the Cova da Iria instead," Lucia insisted. After hearing Lucia's response, the Magistrate continues to urge them to ride in his carriage but the three shepherd children keep insisting it's not necessary.

"I told you, it's much better if you would ride into my carriage," Artur urged. "If you ride in my carriage, we'll get there faster and no one will bother us on the way." 

"Hmm...I'm not sure about this, but I have a feeling that he is right. Riding in his carriage will be a better and faster way to go to the Cova da Iria easily," Lucia thought in mind.

"You all go to Fatima," Artur catipulated. After that, the three shepherd children ride in the Magistrate's carriage.

11:10 am

Ferreira's Rectory, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

As soon as the Magistrate's carriage reach Ferreira's Rectory, the Pastor walk out from his balcony and shout them.

"Send up the first!" the Pastor, Fr. Manuel, shouted to them from the balcony.

"Huh? The first? Which one?" Ti Marto asked as he snapped right back. He becomes upset by a strong feeling of evil that will going to occur.

"Lucia," Fr. Manuel arrogantly said. "Send Lucia to my office." 

"Go ahead, Lucia," Ti Marto said to her niece. After that, Lucia gets off from the Magistrate's carriage. Meanwhile, the Pastor's waiting for Lucia and the Magistrate in his office. Fr. Manuel had changed his mind towards the apparitions of the Lady from Heaven. He believed that the apparitions of the Lady are not work of the devil, but made-up stories or inventions. As Lucia and the Magistrate enters the office, Fr. Manuel stands up from his seat and begins to question Lucia regarding the apparitions.

"Who told you these things you're saying?" Fr. Manuel asked Lucia.

"The Lady I saw at the Cova da Iria," Lucia replied. 

"Be aware, Lucia, little lies will lead to big lies and big lies get punished," Fr. Manuel warned. "If you know, anyone who spreads lies like you will be judged and will go to Hell if they are not true. Many people around Fatima especially the whole world are being tricked or deceived by you and your cousins."

"If anyone who lies will go to Hell," Lucia replied. "However, I will not go to Hell because I never lie. I only tell on what I have seen and what the Lady told me. As for the crowd, they go with us because they want to. We don't call anyone including from our family."

"Is it true that the Lady has confided a secret to you?" the Pastor, Fr. Manuel, asked Lucia. 

"Yes," Lucia replied.

"Tell it then," Fr. Manuel said as he tries to pry the secret out of her. However, it didn't work.

"I can't tell Her secret But if Your Reverence wants to know, I'll ask the Lady and if She gives me permission, I'll tell you," Lucia replied. However, the Magistrate, Artur Oliveira Santos stops their conversation. He interjects as his plan would be jeopardized if he lets Lucia to return to the Cova da Iria to ask permission to tell Fr. Manuel Her secret. 

"Enough of these nonsense, let's get going," Artur interjected their conversation. After that, Lucia and the Magistrate leaves Fr. Manuel's office.