Chapter 11: Promises

May 13, 1917

Cova da Iria, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

The three shepherd children stand up from their spot as they look on the sky where they last saw the Lady. After that, they take a few steps towards the carrasqueira, a small holm oak where the Lady stood over. They become happy and excited, though with deep concern about her. During the first apparition of the Lady, they notice that she seemed unhappy and depressed of something, so they tried to get the meaning of Her word.

"What a beautiful Lady," Francisco commented as he looks up into the sky where he last saw the Lady.

"She's the most beautiful Lady I have ever seen. Oh, I'm so excited," Jacinta happily commented as she becomes excited.

"What did the Lady say? I couldn't hear her," Francisco asked them. Lucia and Jacinta becomes shocked when he also didn't hear what the Lady said to them, like the Angel of Peace before. So, they told him everything that they discussed with the Lady. In the middle of the conversation, they also told him what the Lady promised to him.

"By the way, the Lady told us that you'll go to Heaven, but you had to say and pray many Rosaries," Lucia said. Then, Francisco bursts with joy and puts his hand together in a praying position.

"Oh My Lady, I will say and pray all the Rosaries You want," Francisco exclaimed aloud as he promised to the Lady. After that, they spend the rest of the afternoon in the fields where the Lady stood over.

"By the way, It would be better to keep this vision as our secret. You know how incredulous people are in Aljustrel when they learn this kind of things from us. What can you say?" Lucia suggested to keep their vision of the Lady as a secret.

"Well, I agree to that," Francisco agreed as he nods yes. "I remember you had a bitter experience when the whole neighborhood in Aljustrel learned the news of the Angel of Peace's visit to us."

"I agree too," Jacinta also agreed her suggestion, but to due to her and excitement, Lucia doubts.

"Really, Jacinta? Due to you excitement, you might tell this secret to your family or your friends in the neighborhood," Lucia doubted.

"Honest, I won't tell it to anyone," Jacinta promised.

"Alright then, I will trust you for keeping our secret, but you must swear to us you will not tell to another soul. Do you swear?" Lucia asked Jacinta.

"By our sake, I swear I will not tell anyone about it," Jacinta swore. So, the three shepherd children trust each other that none of them will their secret to anyone, not even their parents.