Chapter 38: The Summon

August 11, 1917, 11 am

Marto Residence, Aljustrel, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

The village of Fatima belongs to the provincial city of Ourém. Artur de Oliveira Santos is the mayor or the Chief Magistrate of the province of Ourém during the apparitions of the Lady from Heaven. All executive, administrative, political and sometimes even judicial powers were controlled or ruled in his hands. Like most of the Portuguese, Artur was baptized Roman Catholic. Even he was inadequate in education, he had been in politics since his youth. Though he was baptized Roman Catholic, Artur abandoned his religion and joined the Masonic Lodge of Leiria at the age of twenty. Days later, he founded and became the head of a lodge at Ourém. In a local newspaper, he published an article which he attempted to erode the Catholic faith of the people including the priests. 

When he heard about the apparition of the Lady in Fatima, Artur learned and realized the possible effects they might have among people. He also realized that if he allowed the Catholic Church to change the hearts of people in his city, he would think that his friends made fun of him. He assured that his massive and corrupted power, and the cringing spirit of the people would enable him to destroy this new religious fad in the beginning.

 He assured that his massive and corrupted power, and the cringing spirit of the people would enable him to destroy this new religious fad in the beginning

Meanwhile, Antonio dos Santos, Ti Marto, and Lucia are summoned by Artur Oliveira Santos at the County House. Around eleven in the morning, while Ti Marto eats his breakfast, Antonio and hid daughter, Lucia, arrive in his house.

"Aren't my cousins, Francisco and Jacinta, going too?" Lucia asked Ti Marto.

"Why should such little children go there to the County House?" Ti Marto replied.

"What do you mean?" Lucia asked Ti Marto.

"No, they will not come. I will answer whatever question they will ask for the children," Ti Marto replied. After that, Lucia run to Jacinta's room to inform her of the summons they had received from Artur Oliveira Santos. She also inform her how she seized with fear.

"Whatever tragedy happens, always pray for me and continue to do the Lady's request," Lucia said as she seized with fear.

"If they try to kill or execute you, tell them that Francisco and I are like you are willing to give up our life," Jacinta cried. After that, she leaves Jacinta's room and joins with her father.

"We're going to the County House now, maybe the Magistrate will get angry at us," Antonio dos Santos said.

"Alright, you go now, I'll catch up," Ti Marto replied as he quickly tries to finish his breakfast.

"Are you sure?" Antonio dos Santos asked Ti Marto.

"Yes and don't worry, I'll catch up and be on time," Ti Marto replied. After that, Antonio dos Santos and his daughter leaves his house.