Chapter 29: The Despair

July 12, 1917, 11 am

Ferreira's Rectory, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

While the First World War still continues, the three shepherd children continues to pray the Holy Rosary. The date of the third apparition of the "Lady" from Heaven is approaching. Francisco and Jacinta are both happy and impatiently excited to see the Lady again by the following day. However, Lucia was filled with gloom and despair as she made up her decision of not going to the Cova da Iria again. Senhora Maria Rosa often did repeat the words that Fr. Manuel said to Lucia that the apparition was the work of the devil, possibly Satan.

One day, in Ferreira's Rectory, Rev. Fr. Manuel is talking to José Alves, who was one of the first to believe in the Marian apparitions.

"The apparitions of the 'Lady' from Heaven which claimed by the three shepherd children are the works of the devil," Fr. Manuel said.

"Not at all, Rev. Fr. Manuel," José Alves replied. "If you know that there is praying at the Cova da Iria, and the devil especially Satan does not like that."

"The devil even goes to the Communion Rail," Fr. Manuel countered.

"Fr. Manuel, you have studied this...but I do not," José Alves replied as he tried not argue with the priest.

6 pm

Marto Residence, Aljustrel, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

Meanwhile, Lucia goes to Marto's Residence to inform Francisco and Jacinta her final decision of not going to the Cova da Iria the next day.

"Francisco, Jacinta, I'm sorry tell you this, but I need you both to know that I will not go to the Cova da Iria tomorrow," Lucia informed her cousins.

"We are still going to the Cova da Iria," Francisco said. "The Lady told us to go there."

"I will speak to the Lady tomorrow," Jacinta declared as she break into tears. Lucia becomes shock to see Jacinta starting crying.

"Why are you crying, Jacinta?" Lucia asked Jacinta.

"Because you don't want to go," Jacinta replied. "It's the Lady's request for us to go there."

"Never, I'm not going. Look! If the Lady from Heaven asks for me, tell Her I am not going because I fear She is the devil, possibly Satan in disguise," Lucia said as she's grief-stricken. After that, Lucia leaves them in her cousins' home.

"Lucia's seem so miserable and...despair," Francisco said.

"I know, but I hope that she would changer her mind to come with us to see the Lady again for Her third apparition," Jacinta replied as she wipe her tears. Meanwhile, Lucia walks on her way home as she's still confused or mixed up about the apparition of the 'Lady.'