Chapter 32: Force Secret Out

July 13, 1917, 12:30 pm

Cova da Iria, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

The Lady from Heaven tell the three shepherd children Her secret and She requested them not to tell anyone, except Francisco who could see Her but cannot hear Her. It is as if the Lady had Francisco's ear muted and closed. After the Lady from Heaven disappears which at the same time that the small grayish cloud over the small holm oak also disappears. 

"Jacinta, what did the Lady say? Like the last two apparitions, I could not hear Her talking," Francisco asked Jacinta. "What did the Lady from Heaven tell us this time?"

"I can tell you the Lady's secret when we get back home. For me, this is not the good place to talk about Her secret because the Lady from Heaven requested us that we'll not tell anyone about Her secret except you. So, just be patient, Francisco," Jacinta replied. 

"Hmm...I couldn't see the Lady but I sense that She indeed appear before them," one of the people in the crowd thought in mind. After that, a few seconds later, the people around the three shepherd children walk closely towards them.

"Lucia, what did the Lady say to make you sad?" one of the people in the crowd asked Lucia.

"It is a secret," Lucia replied. 

"Is it something good?" one of the people in the crowd asked Lucia.

"For some, it is good; and the rest, it is evil," Lucia replied.

"Won't you tell it?" one of the people in crowd forcefully pressed them.

"No, I cannot tell it and it's the Lady's request for us not to tell it to anybody," Lucia replied with convincing determination. The three shepherd children try to do everything to obey the Lady's request. However, people in the crowd keep pushing as they almost smother the children. In a short time, Jacinta's father, Ti Marto, frightened for the safety of his children, perspiration rolling down his face from the excitement of the occasion, elbows his way close to the three shepherd children, picks up Jacinta in his strong arms, puts a hat in Jacinta's head to shelter herself from the sun, and walks on his way home. 

Meanwhile, Olimpia Marto and Senhora Maria Rosa, still hiding in the bushes, see a crowd milling their children.

"Oh, Mary, Mother of God, if You could hear me now, You could see that the crowd are killing my children!" Olimpia Marto, Jacinta's mother, cried out. In a few moments later, they become relieve on what they see at their children. They see Jacinta on the shoulders of Ti Marto, Francisco holding in the arms of a relative, and Lucia being carried by a very tall man.

"Oh what a big man... Anyways, the most important thing is that our children are safe from those people in the crowd," Senhora Maria Rosa relieved as she tale a deep breath. After that, Olimpia Marto and Senhora Maria Rosa both stand up from the ground, leave their hiding place, and walk for home.