Chapter 36: Siam into War

July 22, 1917, Early Morning

Bangkok, Siam (now Kingdom of Thailand)

Siam is a former name of Thailand. After the outbreak of First World War, the country remained neutral for three to four years. Around the year of 1914 or 1915, a private report of discussion between a British Minister of Bangkok, Herbert Dering, and Siamese Minister of Foreign Affairs, Prince Devawongse reflected that:

"His Majesty's Government feels that owing to geographical situation its territories so remote from the warfare and to the fact that its interests are indirectly affected as other neutral powers, it would therefore be preferable while maintaining its neutrality to watch the further development of matter until its interests will demand similar action." 

The declaration of their neutrality was broadly appreciated and validated among the population of Siam. They remained neutral until one day, on August 1915, The Siamese Government believed that the Germans disputed their neutrality when they learned a plot to organize a body of disaffected Indians in Siam to make an armed raid into Burma (now Myanmar). This made Siam to join the war. 

Days later, the French Government told and instructed their French Minister in Bangkok to persuade the Siamese Government to declare war on the Central Powers by sending an Expedition Force to France in return for the abandonment of France's extra-territorial jurisdiction. However, Herbert Dering expressed his disapprobation. He thought that most of Allied countries such as France, United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy could do was 'induce Siamese Government to protest as Signatory of the Hague Convention against Germany's past and threatened violations of International Law.'

Prince Chakrabongse Bhuvanadh, Siam's Heir Presumptive, and Prince Charoonsadki Kritakara, Siam's Ambassador to France, suggested to King Vajiravudh that their country should not be excessively influenced by negative feelings of the British. Both prince were favored to joined the Allies. When the Siamese Government learned that the United States of America declared war on Germany, King Vajiravudh thought in mind that Germany would not win.

"Many Allied countries and their colonies declared and joined the war effort against the Central Powers especially Germany. Since the United States of America and other American countries declared war on Germany, I think Germany won't win because they had many 'enemy countries.' I guess it's time to take an advantage against them," King Vajiravudh thought in mind. Days later, Siam joined the war effort against Germany. They declared that anyone who made a treaty with Germany and other Central Powers will be executed.

On July 22, 1917, Siam (now Thailand) declared war on Austro-Hungarian Empire and Germany.