Chapter 61: Worries of Threats

October 10, 1917, 9 am

Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

Thousands of people want to go back at the Cova da Iria for the Lady's sixth and last apparition. From Her last three apparitions, the Lady from Heaven promised to the three shepherd children that She will perform a miracle so that all may believe especially people who continuously doubt Her apparitions. 

"Believe me, the Lady from Heaven told us that She will perform a miracle so that all may believe," Lucia said to the people as she repeat it over and over until it spread throughout the country. The three shepherd children are sad for those people especially their families who still doubts Her apparitions as well as their testimonies. However, the three shepherd children keep their trust, faith and fidelity to the Lady from Heaven; so there's nothing to worry about.

"Senhora Maria Rosa, I want you to hide your daughter, Lucia, someplace else where no one could find and seer her," one of the people who believe in the apparitions suggested.

"What? Why?" Senhora Maria Rosa asked him.

"Didn't you hear the rumors? Many people who didn't believe in the apparitions has a plot to kill your daughter including you and your family,"one of the people who believe in the apparitions said. After hearing it, Senhora Maria Rosa becomes shock with fear. Meanwhile, along the road, one of the people approach Antonio dos Santos. 

"Senhor Antonio, I want you to tell to your daughter not to go to the Cova da Iria on the thirteenth day of October," one of the people who believe in the apparitions warned.

"What? Why?" Antonio dos Santos asked him.

"There's a rumor around our village that some group tries to plant bombs in the Cova da Iria in order to scare everyone who went there," one of the people who believe in the apparitions said. After hearing it, Antonio dos Santos becomes shock as he's torment with fear.

3:00 pm

Santos Residence, Aljustrel, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

Rumors and threats spread throughout the village. The Santos family becomes extremely worried as they tell Lucia about the rumors and threats that they heard. They also try to persuade Lucia to deny everything.

"Please, Lucia, I want to you to give up this nonsense already," Senhora Maria Rosa persuaded her daughter, Lucia.

"Lucia, haven't you heard the rumors? Many people are threatening us if this miracle won't happen on the thirteenth day of October," Antonio dos Santos said. "Please, listen to your mother and stop this nonsense."

"Yes, Lucia, mother and father are right. It's almost the day of Her last apparition and we want you to stop this before it's too late. We will suffer in the hands of the mob if this apparitions are proven lies and fakes," Maria dos Anjos, Lucia's sister, insisted as she's also extremely worried.

"You must put your trust in me. The Lady from Heaven told us that She will perform a miracle so that all may believe," Lucia replied as she tries to put their trust on her. However, the Santos family are extremely worried.

October 11, 1917, 9 am

Santos Residence, Aljustrel, Fatima, Ourém, Beira Litoral Province, Portugal

Few days before the last apparition, the Santos family became extremely tormented with fear after they heard rumors and threats which will harm the three shepherd children and their families. One day, some people especially in the neighborhood, who didn't believe in the apparitions, storm the homes of the three shepherd children and they begin to threaten them.

"Senhora Maria Rosa, I want you to tell to your child that if this promise will turn out to be a hoax, I swear to Almighty God that I will choke your child's neck," one of people threatened her family as well as Lucia. Senhora Maria Rosa becomes shock and tormented with fear.

"Hey, people, what's all this?" Antonio dos Santos said as he steps in the doorway of his house and faces the people including his neighbors who didn't believe in the apparition.

"Senhor Antonio, I want to tell to your child that if this apparitions are some kind of a big joke, I will place and scatter bombs and two kegs of gunpowder around your house killing you and your family," one of people threatened her family as well as Lucia. The couple, Antonio dos Santos and Senhora Maria Rosa, becomes shock and tormented with fear.

"Why don't you tell to your child to confess and give up her lies?" one of the people in the crowd suggested.

"Yeah, or why don't you lock them in a room until they deny everything they have seen?" one of the people crowd suggested. 

"Why don't you interrogated them or punished them severely until they speak up?" one of the people crowd suggested.

"Alright, alright. I will tell to my daughter and her cousins right away," Antonio dos Santos said as he closes the door of her home. "What are we going to do, Maria Rosa?"

"I want to do what's right, but I don't know what to do, Antonio. The people are trying to kill because of our daughter's lies. If this Lady from Heaven really appears, why don't She perform a miracle already, like starting a spring or something else?" Senhora Maria Rosa lamented as she's extremely worried. 

"Lucia and her cousins are aware of this threat, but it seems that they aren't scared nor worried. I'll go to Lucia and tell her about this," Maria dos Anjos said. After that, she leaves her home, and finds her sister and her cousins. For some time, she found Lucia and her cousins chatting together at a well.

"Hi, Maria," Lucia greeted her sister.

"Hi, have you decided that you will tell them truth that you saw nothing? Earlier, they threatened and warned us that they will kill us all by throwing bombs in our homes. Please, tell it only to me and I will tell the Pastor. Do you want me to tell him? Do you?" Maria dos Anjos said as she convinces Lucia to tell her the truth. Lucia couldn't answer as she's frowns.

"Yes, do what you wish, but we have seen the Lady," Jacinta softly said as she bursts into tears. After that, Maria dos Anjos leaves them at the well.